Anybody familiar with German Politics? (Merkel's no-go areas)

What exactly was Merkel trying to say when she said this in a recent interview (26 Feb)

Beim Thema innere Sicherheit habe ich von Ihnen heute das erste Mal den Begriff “null Toleranz” gehört. Ist das Ihr Angebot an die AfD-Überläufer?
Nein. Innere Sicherheit war für mich schon immer die staatliche Aufgabe. Der Staat hat das Gewaltmonopol und muss sicherstellen, dass Menschen, wann immer sie sich im öffentlichen Raum begegnen, ein Recht auf Sicherheit haben. Schon in unserem letzten Grundsatzprogramm haben wir nicht “Freiheit und Verantwortung” gesagt, sondern “Freiheit und Sicherheit”. Denn Freiheit kann nur gelebt werden, wenn Sicherheit auch gewährleistet ist.
Was bedeutet “null Toleranz” genau?
Das heißt, dass es zum Beispiel keine No-Go-Areas geben darf. Dass es keine Räume geben darf, wo keiner sich hintraut. Aber solche Räume gibt es. Die muss man dann auch beim Namen nennen und etwas dagegen tun. Ich finde, dass Thomas de Maizière das als Innenminister sehr gut gemacht hat. Aber wir haben jetzt auch gesagt, wir wollen ein Musterpolizeigesetz. Wir können nicht dabei zusehen, dass es in verschiedenen Bundesländern unterschiedliche Sicherheitsstandards gibt.

The usual rightwing trolls have picked up on “No-Go-Areas”. But it seems to me that Merkel is more interested in selling the Musterpolizeigesetz.

which was “explained” here…

I lack the local knowledge to understand, much less participate in, German politics, but at the same time, I’m curious to understand which parties are trying to lead me down the garden path.

3 Likes

I profess no particular knowledge about German politics, but from what I’ve seen about politicians elsewhere, the correct answer is probably “all of them.”

5 Likes

My dimly remembered high-school German suggests

Q: What does “zero tolerance” mean?
A: It means it allows no “no go areas.”

The word keine means “no” as in “not any” so it’s a double negative situation?

3 Likes

The supposed existence of nogo areas is a AfD fantasy. Can’t imagine that the SPD is too thrilled.

She’s trying to sell a plan (Musterpolizeigesetz) that would standardize law enforcement across all the Lander-- which are currently empowered to decide their own enforcement priorities. Some jurisdictions respect privacy more than others.

6 Likes

I just heard a thing on the radio about conservatives objecting to police supposedly “collaborating with criminals” and initially thought it was about this. It was actually about California’s “sanctuary city” policies. So I guess the arguments are so similar they can be mistaken for each other.

3 Likes