Apocalypse Watch

1 Like

Migraine warning for the closing credits.

1 Like
2 Likes
5 Likes
8 Likes

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-countries/articles/2020-09-11/a-global-anomaly-the-us-declines-in-annual-quality-of-life-report

the index found that if current trends continue, the world will not meet all 17 Sustainable Development Goals until 2082. The goals, adopted by all 193 U.N. member countries in 2015, focus on improving the environment, health, sustainability, equality and prosperity by 2030.
If countries don’t take urgent steps, the COVID-19 pandemic could push back achievement by another 10 years, to 2092 – more than 60 years after the target date, the index found.

There are important outliers that have declined on social progress. Most notably, the United States continues to backslide, declining both in absolute terms and relative to its wealthy, world-power peers, ranking just 28th in social progress and is only one of three countries declining in social progress over the past decade .

6 Likes

5 Likes
4 Likes

I wonder if China’s success with clamping down on Hong Kong has made them consider the same with Taiwan.

4 Likes

It’s interesting, partly because it was the subject of so many late Cold War, early post-Cold War wargame and sim scenarios. The general mood was that If the U.S. backs Taiwan, China doesn’t have a chance, but if it doesn’t, Taiwan doesn’t have a chance. However, stuff has shifted around a bit and China has become more powerful over the years.

I don’t think they’d push it if we push back. But testing the waters to see if we will is fitting. Their leadership is neither dumb enough to go against us nor unambitious enough to not try to get what they can (or at least find out if that’s an option).

Interesting times, we may live in.

8 Likes

now we know who the protagonist is

there may be a shocking plot twist in a few months, leading to a cliffhanger at the end of the season

8 Likes

If the publisher decides to meddle and airs the episodes out of order, then we’re all screwed.

And that’s not even accounting for the possibility that the writers decide to shoot for a time travel plot early on.

6 Likes

The last shot of the last episode is a close-up of his chart. We see his name is “Charles Orwell Vidal, IXX”

2 Likes
5 Likes

Pretty sure the “civil rights uprising” arc was supposed to be before “deadly airborne pandemic”

NEXT SEASON: either “alien invasion” or maybe “satan walks the earth”

8 Likes

But the deadlier pandemic comes after the alien invasion. Since they have no immune systems, they are exceedingly vulnerable, and they break herd immunity where it exists.

Somebody let me know when the Nightbreed come out of Midian. I’ve always wanted to meet them.

1 Like
4 Likes

I think this could be generalized to the entire federal government.

5 Likes
5 Likes