What could possibly go wrong?

@LockeCJ this is an EDIT of a post from six weeks ago

5 Likes
4 Likes

:slight_smile:

Neurotoxic apocalypse incoming:

https://theconversation.com/this-psychoactive-drugs-trip-isnt-working-17540

2 Likes

I had an apocalypse in 1996, and other than being disassembled and then duplicated by a swarm of nanomachines it wasn’t really a big deal.

11 Likes

CITIZEN: YOU APPEAR TO HAVE SOME FALSE MEMORIES. PLEASE REPORT TO YOUR NEAREST REPROCESSING CENTRE SO THAT WE MAY ASSIST YOU WITH REALIGNING YOUR MEMORIES OF REALITY.

Please go about your business, fellow humans.

8 Likes

Fnord.

7 Likes

3 Likes

I, for one, welcome our new microbial overlords.

4 Likes

5 Likes
7 Likes
3 Likes

They use the plural “octopuses.” I prefer the plural “octopeese” myself.

Neat article. Those animals are so neat.

1 Like

it’s all good – we seem to have worked it out. everyone can relax!

2 Likes

I adore all members of the genus octopus - they’re so shockingly intelligent and managed to evolve intelligence entirely independently within their own branch of the tree of life.

In evolutionary terms, the intelligence of octopuses is an anomaly. The last common ancestor between octopuses on the one hand, and humans and other intelligent animals (monkeys, dolphins, dogs, crows) on the other, was probably a primitive, blind worm-like creature that existed six hundred million years ago.

I’m secretly hoping they become the dominant intelligent life form after we mess things up, although I give raccoons even odds at the moment…

7 Likes

they are the reason i’ve stopped eating cephalopods in general. i believe they are taking notes, and i want to be on their good side come the cephalopocalypse.

14 Likes

Possibly corvids. I wouldn’t yet rule them out either (hey, corvids can have the air, raccoons the ground while octopus rule the sea). :octopus:

7 Likes

This is why I feed crows. That and when the spiders rise up I want someone on my side.

5 Likes

yeah, i give crows respect and save spiders, too. hedging my bets.

4 Likes

What a wonderful essay! I didn’t know that octopuses only live for two to four years, which is kind of sad. I really do wonder what they think of their world and lives.

3 Likes

A science fictional look at the coming octopocalyse* is the Heritage series by the late Charles Sheffield.

*A comparative google search shows your term is probably the accepted one. Darn.

2 Likes