Apocalypse Watch

i haven’t heard of this series, but i’ve bookmarked it. thanks!

1 Like

Sheffield was one of my favorites, who died too soon alas.

1 Like
2 Likes

14 Likes
8 Likes

Now that’s my kind of apocalypse. Volcanoes are so cool! (Unless they cover the country with a foot of ash…)

Edit typo.

4 Likes

Speaking of, here is The Apocalypso, by National Health.

1 Like
1 Like
7 Likes

IT BEGINS…

i for one hail our cephalopod overlords.

7 Likes

What if we don’t know their genders?

2 Likes

hmm, a fair point. i honestly was only thinking of the term in a non-gender, “these things rule us” sort of way anyway.

4 Likes

Given that the term “overlady” doesn’t exist, I’d argue it’s possible to be a female overlord and that, despite its gendered origins, the term is now gender neutral.

5 Likes

I’ll buy that. Though I mourn our language’s lack of edgeladies.

7 Likes

Though presumably not our lack of crimeladies…?

ETA: It just struck me how “slumlady” would actually be an inversion of the term, rather than the female equivalent of a slumlord. Odd but not particularly surprising, I guess…

1 Like

It’s not what you prefer, it’s what they prefer that matters. As the the likely intelligent successor to humans’ domination of the planet, you do NOT want to peese them off!

10 Likes

The octopuden aren’t waiting!

3 Likes

In case you haven’t already heard, some on the far right are convinced that “antifa” are plotting a violent coup and/or anti-white genocide tomorrow, and they need to get out there to stop this. They are wrong. They-- armed right-wingers-- may end up shooting someone. This worries me.

5 Likes

I think about this fact way too much. Like could we develop octopus life extension technology to see what kinds of amazing things they could do in their 20s & 30s?

Or are they just like me, “smart” in the sense they can learn things quickly, but forget it all just as quickly, doomed to a progression of hobbies given up before true mastery is achieved…

12 Likes

Now that is a science fiction novel waiting to be written.

A 30 year old octopus may be indeed be amazingly (or frighteningly) smart, but I think they probably have a version of “smart” that is completely different from ours.

I also have the progression of hobbies problem, but in my case, I tend to substitute perfectionism for mastery. Thus I spend months on something trying to get it just right. Like an illustration I’ve been working on for 10 months . . . :roll_eyes:

7 Likes