Apocalypse Watch

If only.

4 Likes
6 Likes

ā€œHorrificā€ doesnā€™t even cover it. Iā€™m glad thatā€™s a static image and not a gif [shudder].

2 Likes

Not innarested in a taste of the true black meat?

3 Likes

Eurgh.

2 Likes

In this case they could have gone right to Oxtoplex.

1 Like

I searched on this term ā€“ Halo game something? ā€“ but also got this on my search:

Whois domain gotopless dot org, Gotopless - Claiming equal topless ā€¦

Google confused. I ainā€™t going there.

Edit: I changed the reference to gotopless website so people donā€™t click on it by mistake! Sorry. My bad.

2 Likes

Iā€™m in favor of changing culture to eat less meat (much less), preferring sustainably-farmed plants. But this article is Malthusian, based on assumed scarcity, and the Malthusian argument is not one that Iā€™d choose.

Itā€™s the idea that only the rich deserve to survive and the poor should just die and get out of the way or at least shouldnā€™t be allowed to have sex. Ending welfare, not providing health care, paying starvation wages, and sending the poor off to war were ways that Malthus suggested to kill off the extra poor people. While that outdated scarcity-based approach clearly still has its proponents in politics today, it hasnā€™t worked yet and after hundreds of years, itā€™s worth considering the opposite.

We know that wealthier populations have much lower population growth (in many areas tending toward replenishment or lower) and tend to eat healthier and more sustainably. Logically, raising people up from poverty into a wealthier lifestyle would therefore prevent the Malthusian catastrophe. That could only be done with the exact opposite approach - better health care, fewer pointless wars, higher wages, and more welfare. To get there, we have to consider the post-scarcity world, and ā€˜dress for the job we want, not the job we haveā€™.

In other words, assume that thereā€™s plenty of food and act accordingly, and it will become self-fulfilling. (Technically, there already is plenty, itā€™s just a matter of distribution, so the assumption isnā€™t too far off.)

11 Likes

The middle classes in wealthy countries have fewer children, yes. Enormous per-child costs are imposed on middle-class parents who want to pass their privileges onto their offspring.

5 Likes

It was supposed to be Octoplex. Curses, mobile keyboard strikes again. But Iā€™m leaving it.

2 Likes

:smiley: Good comic, but supersized meals with double meat for only 30Ā¢ more arenā€™t aimed at the wealthy, just as the target market for $9 organic kale smoothies isnā€™t people in poverty.

In that context, the comic conflates the wealth of the U.S. with that of its citizens, - citizens that the U.N.'s special investigators of extreme poverty have discovered are living in ā€˜conditions that one doesnā€™t see in the first worldā€™.

Itā€™s a strange situation where the wealthy shell out big bucks for sustainable fair-trade organic vegan food in realistic single-human portions while the poor are stuck with all-you-can-eat supersized meat meals (that could feed a village) because theyā€™re so much cheaper. We live in weird times.

7 Likes
6 Likes

Collapsing? Stars like our donā€™t collapse.

They need to hire better astronomers. Which is odd, because their astrologers are usually on point.

1 Like

Animation warning, but no flashing or zooming:

4 Likes

This was the plot of Timescape by Gregory Benford, a book I liked except for the rotten ending.

ETA: I like it better as FICTION.

2 Likes
1 Like

Obligatory:

4 Likes

Probably a more realistic obligatory:

6 Likes