Apocalypse Watch

http://droughtmonitor.unl.edu/

http://www.agr.gc.ca/eng/programs-and-services/list-of-programs-and-services/drought-watch/canadian-drought-monitor/current-drought-conditions/?id=1467724907072

Good time to move to a lake region I guess…

5 Likes

Did you notice that the latest “best places to live worldwide” just came out and Chicago was at the very top of the list?

Our water comes straight from the largest freshwater system in the world. We’re well-positioned for the coming climate apocalypse.

12 Likes

Canada really needs to start building defenses, cuz I know y’all will come for our water eventually!! Freeze it! Send it secretly to space!!

9 Likes
5 Likes

The Great Lakes Compact was the first defensive step. Escalation of defensive measures will depend upon extant threats to our waters. :smiling_imp:

7 Likes

I have that. Its really good.
But I was sad it was only one book.
I wish they did an expansive series of it. There was way too much packed in that scant 44 pages.

3 Likes
2 Likes

After two-decades in Tejas, this was one of the reasons I finally opted to move up here.

After a few years of drought and seeing some smaller towns run out of water really made things a bit less rosy. The heat I could take. No water…that is something else entirely.

10 Likes

This is spinning out of control… I’m really worried about how bad the Mid East is getting. It seems worst than in any time in my life (which is only 41 years, but still).

5 Likes

It’s the play field of the rich of the old Cold War. Beyond oil, the narrative plays into the new development exploitation of Sub-Saharan (South of Sahara) Africa. Gotta keep the geography straight, otherwise the developing world might think they were people.

3 Likes

Its happening all over the American southwest, but no one is talking about it!
NPR has had a couple shows about it. And a friend was working on a documentary a few years back when all shipping on the Mississippi shut down because it basically ran dry… and NO ONE is talking about it! Its madness!! Its so big brotherish! This should be a huge story in America and yet no one seems to know or care!

13 Likes

Toronto is downstream from Flint & Detroit. How did I find out last year about their issues with clean water?

Reading Mark Ruffalo’s Twitter feed.

I mean, he seems like a societally responsible person, and he linked to Michigan news sources that were traditonal, verifiable journalism outlets etc etc, but still, I’m getting major, local environmental news from a Hollywood actor, y’know? That’s ridiculous.

12 Likes

To be fair, “Lake Ontario water is disgusting” isn’t exactly news.

3 Likes

Detroit has clean water. Flint’s water got dangerous after they disconnected from Detroit. And the issue is with the water pipes in the distribution system rather than the river water.

My tap water comes from Detroit. It tastes like crap this far out from the treatment plants, but it’s safe and clean. We filter it only to suit our taste preferences.

8 Likes

Lake Ontario’s water is cleaner now than it was in the 1980s. But they’re not making a big deal about it because they want to get it cleaner still.

4 Likes

I remember not being able to swim in the lake as a kid.
Now we only get e coli warning on the hottest days near the dog parks. LOL
But not actual pollution warnings like we used to get!

I only knew about the Mississippi because a friend was filming it.
The Mississippi is a multi-million dollar “highway” we still float goods up and down it, and its drinking water for 100s of communities, if it runs dry, or low enough to ground trade that should be front page news, but it wasn’t.

7 Likes

@gadgetgirl mad!!! @gadgetgirl smash!!!

5 Likes

Right?

4 Likes

And of course, this would require laws to require people to cross in the death traps, where cars expect us, instead of crossing away from the death traps.

5 Likes

I taught my children while growing up to assume that every driver on the road is exhausted, on their phone, drunk, high, fiddling with the controls, or any combination of the above. This was both to remind them not to trust stop signs, lights, etc. while walking, and to prepare them for eventually becoming drivers themselves.

I am certain that you check and re-check before crossing the street, whether you’re in an official pedestrian crosswalk or ‘jaywalking’ in the middle of a block. Wouldn’t it be exactly the same level of caution when the car coming down the street is driverless instead?

7 Likes