Apocalypse Watch

And, while on the subject of the US, there’s always lots continuing the gradual apocalypse around us.

(Washington Examiner seems to animate on its own; I think the others don’t.)

4 Likes

Washington Examiner has also been known to publish slurs as their top front-page headlines.

2 Likes

Okay. When National Geographic mentions the US President in anything more than a cute by-the-way photo, things are seriously fucked up.

Glad to see their purchase by Fox hasn’t obliterated the editorial quite yet.

3 Likes

I’m sorry to hear it, but thank you for mentioning it. For the most part, this was passing on stories where I’ve seen them mentioned; I often don’t in part because I don’t usually know which sources deserve such an endorsement. So learning ones worth avoiding is helpful.

(National Geographic has been demoted to caution, but as gadgetgirl says, this seemed a case where it hasn’t abandoned all values yet.)

4 Likes
6 Likes

One possible way to avoid that:

3 Likes

What an excellent article.
Won’t happen of course, but a useful reminder that the career people in the US are much more intelligent than most of the politicians.

5 Likes

6 Likes
2 Likes

The Harvard-educated epidemiologist was promoted in July at the U.S. Public Health Service in Atlanta and contributed to responses following outbreaks of Zika, Ebola and health emergencies caused by Hurricane Sandy. He also was a prominent fixture in the Atlanta community, earning a spot in Atlanta Business Chronicle’s 40 Under 40 Awards last year.

But the researcher, who studies disease patterns, was not feeling well Feb. 12 and left work around midday.

Cunningham, 35, hasn’t been seen or heard from since

A CDC researcher left work sick two weeks ago — then vanished

10 Likes

(((0)))-fuck

Guess it’s the End.
Going back to the bar.

Seriously. The lack of actual news that isn’t imaginatively horrible instead of normalized horrible isn’t horrible… enough. Now we got this shit. Fake news or someone in a ditch somewhere (by car accident, I’m assuming, unless it’s another shooting spree). Hope he’s found.

3 Likes
4 Likes

This is so going to become a meme – especially with all those US elections coming up.

6 Likes
4 Likes

Speaking of apocalypse…

anyone else into long term food storage?

5 Likes

Not for apocalypse reasons, but I am. There were earthquakes where I grew up, and tornadoes and ice storms where I live, so I like to keep plenty of food in the house in case something goes wrong.

Am I talking about the same thing, though? I just have a well stocked pantry with a lot of dried staples, not zombie-apocalypse (turnip-apocalypse) level hoarding, though.

If I need to, I can safely can anything from jam to meat. That pressure canner doesn’t get much use, but I feel like a pioneer-rockstar whenever I put up chicken. I can attest that it was still good 2 years later, and basically just like canned chicken from the store, texture-wise.

How about you?

7 Likes

I grew up in a food insecure household. We didn’t go hungry per se, but there was not a lot of “extra” food, and certainly no choices. I remember eating fried ground beef and rice or potatoes a lot as a kid cuz thats all Mom could afford. So part of this is in response to that, but also I just like having a lot of variety on hand at all times.

I also an enamoured of offgrid and homesteading, so dry goods are kind of my jam right now. AND we RV, and the fridge is tiny and I hate carrying cans, so dried food is going to change how we camp for sure. Longer time between restocks, longer time in the bush, its gonna be great!

Side note: if you want good info on “prepping” but without all the “Govt gonna collapse and put you in a Fema camp zombies” woowoo, searching for Homesteading filters all that out, and added bonus you find out where all the back to the earth hippies that actually succeeded went! And they’re all about self sustaining in a way that isn’t woowoo that I really like.

I bought a bunch of dehydrated food and freeze dried food, to try. And so far, its been great. Lot of stir fries, soups, stews, pastas. I’m actually amazed how much I like the dehydrated vegetables. I bought this to test em and see, and so far I love them all.
https://www.harmonyhousefoods.com/Vegetable-Pantry-Stuffer-16-Varieties-Quart-Size_p_1845.html

I don’t can, but I do pickle and dry. I’m trying to decide if I want my own dehydrator…

9 Likes

I tried and failed with dehydrating. Obviously I did something wrong, but I don’t know what.

I’ll check out homesteading, because the prepper approach is really off-putting to me. Hippies are my people, though, I have a higher than normal tolerance for their brand of bullshit.

Oh, yes to pickling! I mostly do cabbage (curtido rather than sauerkraut), onions and garlic, but my favorite is hot sauce. I’m almost out, but the thai peppers aren’t at the farmers market yet!

7 Likes

Oh cool, thank you! I’m trying to have a “power’s gonna be out for a long time” emergency kit, and have always struggled with it because most of the lists I find are for stuff I wouldn’t normally eat (ie processed foods), yet need to be replaced every three to six months.

5 Likes

Yes. One time when my spouse got in one of her Apocalyptica Moods, she filled up two hiking packs with enough for probably two weeks of largely easy to each processed foods (Crackers, foil packs of Tuna, single serve peanut butter cups.) Well, in the intervening time of where do these packs need to be stored they got tossed up in the attic of the garage.

At least the Mice survived the winter that year. One of the packs sure didn’t.

9 Likes