Bad Science

Good science from Nature. Bad from this book.

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-018-06784-5

Plomin likes to say that various components of nurture “matter, but they don’t make a difference”. But the benefits of good teaching, of school lunches and breakfasts, of having textbooks and air-conditioning and heating and plumbing have been established irrefutably. And they actually are causal: we know why stable blood sugar improves mental concentration. Yet Plomin dismisses such effects as “unsystematic and unstable, so there’s not much we can do about them”.

What’s scariest to me (as the article writer notes) is that there are some very good conclusions in the book, which help to mask the horrifyingly bad ones. The pull-quote above demonstrates the kind of horrifyingly bad conclusions laid out in the book: Plomin argues that genes outweigh social interventions – it’s Eugenics 3.0.

9 Likes

It’s the same issue with global warming. Yes, terrible thing, but the economic impact of doing something to fix it will impact the people who have money.

12 Likes

100 companies are responsible for most of the problem of climate change.

That’s it. All the individual contributions of recycling, and lifestyle changes will do fuck all to fix it (which is not to say don’t do it, but don’t kid yourself) if those 100 companies continue to do business as usual.

It’s gaslighting, pure and simple.

15 Likes

Yep, and if they keep lighting that gas, we’re all boned.

11 Likes

I thought this was a poe at first, but after a bit of research it seems like he’s actually serious.

9 Likes

Yeah, and a person whose body temperature is 120 degrees F is still there too. But maybe you can treat someone whose body temperature is only 102 F.

9 Likes

Mars is essentially in the same orbit… Mars is somewhat the same distance from the Sun, which is very important. We have seen pictures where there are canals, we believe, and water. If there is water, that means there is oxygen. If oxygen, that means we can breathe.

Former u.s. vice president Dan Quayle

10 Likes

That does not follow.

Percival Lowell thought he saw canals and a blue strip next to the receding ice caps. But he recognized that the Martian atmosphere was probably far too thin to support Earthling life. He speculated that Martian life had adapted to it. E.C. Slipher, one of the pioneers of photographic astronomy of the planets, also believed he saw canals in his photographic plates.

2 Likes

Yeah, but this is coming from a guy who can’t even spell potato, let alone grow one on Mars from his own poop.

8 Likes

I couldn’t believe how dumb Quayle was. Now he looks like a Nobel-winning genius.

7 Likes

The white folks think they’re at the top, ask any proud white male
A million years of evolution, we get Danny Quayle

Oingo Boingo - Insanity

4 Likes

Well… yanno if you separate the planet from all life ON the planet that simplifies the math? Er, something, wut?

6 Likes

Hence Elon Musk going to Mars.

Or The Marching Morons.

Or maybe they’re the same thing

5 Likes

I think the enduring, ignorant myths about population growth, what automation is good for, how machines are designed, built, maintained, and used, all these serve the the small-minded emotional needs of slightly clever rich scumbags like Musk, Bezos, and the extended families of every aristocracy ever. Their negative-sum exploitatations exist within their universe of stupidity, so they have to keep it going with ever more stupid magic bullshit.

So dumb magic bullshit like Malthusian collapse serves to scare people from one direction and dumb magic bullshit like self driving cars or blockchain legalism serve to make people think that someone is “working the problem”. They’re not working the problem and they are banning people from actually working the problem.

The rock will indeed spin on, no thanks to the rich dumbshits who rule.

6 Likes

The rock will slow down though, as the moon tries to get as far away from us as fucking possible. With good reason.

3 Likes

But not magically, though, just from tidal action. It’s not like it’s trying to escape Galactus.

3 Likes

And then they will spend eons rotating around each other, their faces locked in an aggressive staring contest.

Though I guess the sun will get them first.

3 Likes

Yes. That. I would recommend the moon worry about the inevitability of that shit. Maybe the moon will invent real magic.

3 Likes

Maybe someone should tell this guy what temperature it is on Venus.

Or better yet we can send him and the other deniers there on a special one-way space flight and let them have a big Venusian party.

7 Likes

That would appear to be the best way to resolve their Venus envy.

8 Likes