Badass Dragoons of the Highlands - Call for Players

1. Groß Wilhelm

2. The Hellscapes near Bad Doberan.

3. 419 CE

4. A huge Zweihänder. Its pretty dull due to wear.

5. Rammstein

6. Was walking through a town, recently off trail guarding a turnip wagon, when a fairly full iron chamber pot caught me on my head. When I awoke, someone had drug me out near the trees. Though I stank, quite a lot, and had much blood on my person, no injury could I find.

13 Likes

Highlander?!? I’d planned on just lurking this time, so I could figure out how to play. But I just can’t resist the call of the Gathering…

I am Yevgeniya Nikolaevna Vovk. These days I go by Evelyn Wolff. Call me Evvy, all my friends do.

I was found in Kievan Rus’, just outside a small village near Pereyaslavl, in the year 1199. It’s part of the Ukraine now, I think. I haven’t been back home in decades.

I’ve got a lovely karabela, like this one:

It belonged to a dear friend of mine. One hundred fifty years or so ago, he went off to fight a Challenge… and lost. I’ve no doubt it was a fair fight. He was always so noble, so honorable. Didn’t help him much in the end. So I bear his sword as a reminder of the most important thing he ever taught me… too much honor and fair play will get you killed.

Hmmm. I think I’d choose… either Finger Eleven, around the time they did The Greyest of Blue Skies album… or Foxy Shazam, Welcome to the Church of Rock and Roll-style. Their third album’s good too. ~starts singing enthusiastically and completely off-key~ “Keep the flowers, I’ll just send them back-- the only way to my heart is with an axe…” It’s perfect, right? ~laughs~

~there is a long pause~

It happened in stages. My first death was an accident. We were bringing in the harvest, and my son (foster son, of course) lost control of his scythe. It hit me in the head. I remember the pain, falling to the dirt, seeing the tears in his eyes as the world faded away…

…only for me to wake, hours later, looking up into the startled face of my husband, Sergey. It was a miracle, a joyful miracle. After that, any injuries I suffered healed themselves almost instantly. It seemed like a blessed gift…

…until the Mongols swept through, on their way to raid Kiev.

I’m sure I don’t need to describe it to you. You’ve heard it a hundred times before… ~taps the listener’s Watcher tattoo on their wrist~ …waking up in a field full of corpses. Wondering what I could possibly have done for God to forsake me so, leaving me behind while taking my whole family, my whole village…

~reaches down the counter for her shot glass and drains the vodka within in one swallow. There is another pause~

I’m not sure how long it was before I met my first teacher. I think it was about three months later. I wasn’t thinking too clearly then, but there was snow on the ground. He was a merchant with a caravan from Greece, looking for places to trade. He recognized me for what I was, a newborn Immortal. And he taught me what I was, how to wield a blade… about the Game.

What happened to him? I don’t know. We parted company forty years later, after I’d learned all he could teach me. I’ve been so many things since then-- merchant, spy, thief, governess… now I’m a Web designer, and I teach a class or two at a local community college. I’d like to think he’d be proud of me, for surviving so long. But sooner or later, the Gathering will come… and as much as I want to live, I hate the thought that someday, I might see him on the other side of my blade. I’m tired of fighting. I’d like to live peacefully. But I’ll do whatever I have to to survive.

Sorry, all, she likes to talk. A lot. I hope that will help… since I haven’t role-played before.

15 Likes

What is your name?
I was sold into servitude many years before I learned how to read lips. At the various mining camps of my youth, I saw them refer to me as “the Worker”.
What part of the world were you born in?
I remember sand, dust and heat.
What year was that? (note: must be prior to 1250 CE)
Good question. I’ve been alive for at least 700 years.
What badass sword do you have in your hand right now?*
I’m currently holding a four foot length of rough cedar board, heavily worn and polished smooth. It was my only companion as I, over the last 500 (perhaps 600? Who can count?) years, slowly dug myself out of the lowest level of a collapsed gold mine.
Which band will eventually be tapped to do your soundtrack?
Charley Patton
For a reroll on your lowest stat, tell us about the moment in which you discovered or realized that you were counted among the immortals.
I learned the opposite at an early age. I thought everyone was like me. It turns out that people, even family, are fragile.

16 Likes

What is your name?
Juan. Because there can be only Juan.

Somewhere in the Iberian peninsula

Not entirely sure but the Moors were invading at the time so my parents were kind of distracted

What badass sword do you have in your hand right now?
A rapier made of 4 feet of sharpened Toledo steel

Nicholas Cage performing 4’33"

For a reroll on your lowest stat, tell us about the moment in which you discovered or realized that you were counted among the immortals.
I’m a what now? Look, I know I’m pretty spry for my age but that’s just crazy talk!

18 Likes

What is your name?
Ben Dorcy III, but you can call me Red Dog. It’s Native American.

In what would eventually become Atlanta, Georgia, home of some of the greatest Southern Rock.

Damn. Lemme think. Fuck. I dunno, there were a lot of trees, a lot of Indians, I mean, it was before there were any white dudes around. Can we just say 1250 and go from there? We used a lunar calendar a lot, doesn’t really scale, you know? Hey, you got a cigarette?

This thing? I prefer to just call it an axe.

Poison. Fucking greatest band, man. “Don’t Need Nothin But a Good Time.” POISON!

For a reroll on your lowest stat, tell us about the moment in which you discovered or realized that you were counted among the immortal.
It’s not much of a story, right? I was helping my friend Singing Beaver set up for this, I dunno, talent show? We didn’t really have a name for it, involved a lot of singing and dancing around the fire at the end of a pow wow.

Well, anyway, this group of Cherokees come swinging through the place, totally decapitated ol’ Beav, I’ve got his brains all over me, I’m yelling, they’re yelling and then I notice they’re yelling because I’ve got this goddamned arrow in the side of my head, half an arm dangling down, and a tomahawk literally right in my sternum. Totally happened so fast that I didn’t even notice. But that certainly freaked them out, that’s for certain, they spun around and skedaddled and I had to finish the load in myself and then bury Beav. It wasn’t easy with just the one arm working well, and I leaked something fierce over the dance platform, but, fuck, show’s gotta happen at 8 man, you know?

16 Likes
  1. What is your name?

Oh sweetie, don’t you recognize me? It’s me, your Mom. Now where did you leave your glasses, dear?

1. What part of the world were you born in?

I was born up on Grampy’s farm. You know that. Why all the questions? Are you feeling alright dear? Come over here so I can feel your forehead.

1. What year was that? (note: must be prior to 1250 CE)

Well, it was a long time ago. Before your father and I met. Before you or your brother were born. It seems like it’s been eons.

1. What badass sword do you have in your hand right now?

Mind your language. I’m making you an apple pie. It’s just a paring knife, honey. Have you and Tommy been playing that “D Andy” game again? That one with all the dragons and gold and Ewoks and such?

1. Which band will eventually be tapped to do your soundtrack?

A band? Well, it’s been just ages since I’ve been out to see a band. Maybe you’ll go over to your Aunt’s house this weekend and your father and I will go out on a date. Maybe that nice Mitch Miller fellow.

1. For a reroll on your lowest stat, tell us about the moment in which you discovered or realized that you were counted among the immortals.

Immortals! Oh you have such a sense of imagination! You’re probably going to grow up to be an accountant. Well, did I ever tell you about the time I was kicked in the head by a cow? It was my first time milking. I almost said a bad word, but I guess I was just too young to know any.

Alright, enough with the questions. You run along and finish your homework now, and let me finish this pie.

15 Likes

What is your name?
Call me Jane. That’ll do. You couldn’t pronounce the original right, and the language is long dead.

Near a delta in a river that has long since changed course, on a landscape so altered that I wouldn’t recognise it.

Not sure. We hadn’t invented a calendar, yet.

Not in my hand, but near to are three machetes, two heavy axes, one hatchet, a circular saw blade carefully balanced to throw like a frisbee, and an obsidian spear with a nanometre edge on the blade. The kind the Aztecs used to decapitate horses and conquistadors with. If all else fails, I will borrow yours.

I am hoping that the members of that band haven’t been born, yet.

We may have just discovered alcohol distillation. The first time. There is a reason said knowledge was then lost for centuries. When I came to in the smoking ruins that used to be my clothing, there were no other villagers around but the ground was rather reddish. The other injuries were gone, but the tinnitus remains to this day.

When the hunters returned, they argued over whether I was god-blessed or cursed. While they were busy determining how I ought to be sacrficed in appeasement or honour, I grabbed a couple of butchering blades and decided to take my chances elsewhere. Thus came the end of my people.

After that, I noticed that while the sun rose and set and the world changed, I did not. Wounds sustained as I wandered healed almost instantly, and I would wake up from fatal falls with nothing except the ringing in my ears.

Then came the day that someone tried to take my head off. He somehow tripped and fell on his own blade (I still don’t know how) and ended up taking his own. That’s when I realised the one thing that has never changed in all this time: Just when you think things can’t get weirder, prepare to be surprised. Words to survive by, my friends.

14 Likes

I too love the rock and roll.

Here’s a favorite, just try not to move to it!

6 Likes

Perfectly awesome choice.

3 Likes

A Player Primer has been posted. Newcomers and old hands alike are encouraged to give it a read while I continue to assemble the rest of the scaffolding for Monday’s launch.

5 Likes

What is your name?

The Three Sisters

I arose out of the sea, sort of like this lady, only there were 3 of us all together.

20,000 BCE

What badass sword do you have in your hand right now?*

Enya

We have always been the three of us together; we have never been alone, but we watched everyone around us come and go, and we have always remained. There were so few people then, and the others would come and leave birthing children. But we could not have children. We always knew we were different (see: sea birth) and always knew we would would never die. When we were born, it was accepted. Some people lived long long lives. Then the cycle of birthing and dying changed, sped up. During the long season of persecution of women as witches, we started to blend in with mortals; people forgot and did not understand people like us.

14 Likes

hiccup

That’s just like me, and Lou, and David used to be. We used to be deathless.

used to be

Till that Baba Yaga slain Lou.

And then David was found with ceder splinters in the stump where his sumptuous neck was.

Closing Time draws nigh.

7 Likes

What is your name?

Ennis

A summer land, where the flowers smelled of honey and wine, and the terrors still slumbered beneath the sea. That place doesn’t exist anymore.

I don’t remember.

What badass sword do you have in your hand right now*?

A fancy soldier had no further need of it. Would you like to test its sharpness?

Even with all my years, that sounds like a cruel thing to do to minstrels.

In the dark of winter, dreamed a great wolf, its den tucked besides a river, ash-white with the ghosts of glaciers. As a young foolish thing, we coveted its pelt of silver. It whispered to us. To be warm, at last. To have but a taste of that fading memory of summer and sweetness and plenty.

And so so softly, I stepped into the Den. Oh what magnificent teeth, brilliant white. A shock, the pain a fleeting afterthought in the dark cooling pool of ruby red. It was a mortal contest. It was supposed to be a mortal contest.

But I remained.

12 Likes

I’m in.

I still need to read this thread…but I’m in.

6 Likes

WHAT is your name?

NESSIE

WHAT part of the world were you born in?

LOCH NESS

WHAT year was that? (note: must be prior to 1250 CE)

???

WHAT badass sword do you have in your hand right now*?

u2ZYvnz

WHAT is your quest?

FUCK IT, I’M NESSIE

WHICH band will eventually be tapped to do your soundtrack?

BELLE & SEBASTIAN

For a reroll on your lowest stat, tell us about the moment in WHICH you discovered or realized that you were counted among the immortals.

I am the true Lady of the Lake. I’ve been distributing swords for a while. When THIS sword showed up, finally I realized that I was THE ONE.

15 Likes

I feel like we’ve worked together before? Up by Albany? I think there were bikers.

3 Likes

giphy-downsized (24)

6 Likes

7 Likes

What is your name?

ElHar Aziz a Korsar pirate who was born in the pirate held lands of Pellucidar and has found his way back to the surface world.

What year was that?
Sometime in the late 1800s.

What badass sword do you have in your hand right now*?

Chris Joss

Waking up adrift after being on the losing side of an attack by Lord Greystoke.

12 Likes

Were you that dude that Keith pulled his pistol on at The Palace in 1965? God, he was so knackered that year that he was always on edge, jumping with paranoia.

Sorry about him putting those holes in your jacket, although they did add a bit of that character that the kids pay hundreds for these days to get a distressed garment from fucking Urban Outfitters…

4 Likes