Badass Dragoons of the Highlands - Turn 6 - New York City (c.1986)

Zero is also taking careful note of the return addresses on the private correspondence he has been receiving.

7 Likes

My Dear Good Man Zero,

You are being as careful and circumspect as ever. Dare I say ā€œcalculating?ā€

Itā€™s good to see the old Zero is alive and well under the Psycho facade.

We all know

There can only be one

ā€“ but one what?

Itā€™s clear what the Kurgan thinks ā€œoneā€ means. But English is an ever ambiguous language. In other languages the contextual cognate would be a plural or even collective noun.

Today, it is up to us choose our own language ā€“ indeed for us to define what the ā€œoneā€ will be.

Yours in Truth,

Mr. Collins

9 Likes

[excerpt from The Diaries of Other Pendragon Ā© 2017 by TrilloCom LLC]

Disturbing incident on the subway this morning. As I waited on the platform, I felt the familiar vibration of a presence. Turning, I saw a man in an expensive suit striding toward me, his angry gaze locked on my face. Shoving other commuters aside, he drew a flashy Damascus blade from his crocodile-skin briefcase.

ā€œDo you know who I am?ā€ he roared.

ā€œWhy yes, I believe soā€, I said, stalling for time. ā€œDo I have the honour of addressing the esteemed Zero Demos?ā€

ā€œMy briefcase cost more than your car!ā€ he bellowed. ā€œPrepare to die!ā€

The train had arrived at the platform. Timing it nicely, I stepped back into the car just as the doors closed. With a yell of rage, he lunged forward and tried to pry the doors open with his blade. As the train pulled out, he followed it down the platform, hammering on the windows with the pommel of his sword and screaming incoherent curses in what sounded like classical Greek. Fortunately none of the other passengers seemed to notice.

ā€œThe jokeā€™s on youā€, I mouthed through the glass. ā€œI donā€™t have a car.ā€

I feel pity for Mr. Demos. He is a troubled man, but dangerous. I must stay alert.

10 Likes

10 Likes

Myfanwy,

Your message finds me at a difficult (yet perhaps apposite) time. I am struggling somewhat with the call of the Gathering, and it is impacting my behaviour somewhat; something I believe Other can confirm with you. I tried to discuss this with him when we chanced upon each other, but I think he rather misunderstood my intentions. Unfortunate.

I remember feeling somewhat as you do when I was as young as you. But that was so long ago. Itā€™s difficult to retain innocence like yours forever. To be blunt; I have had a rather trying millennium or so - I canā€™t remember the last time I had a proper encounter with another immortal that didnā€™t end with a decapitation. However, in my more lucent periods, I can recognize some sense in what you say (despite the, if I may say so, somewhat patronising manner in which you express it). I feel rather alone and isolated. Maybe itā€™s time I reached out - perhaps we can put our heads together and figure something out?

I enclose my details - have your people call my people - letā€™s do lunch. I could get us reservations at Dorsia, they know me there.

9 Likes

I think I finally found a home. Sometimes the best place to hide is in plain sight.

Zero, if you want to reminiscence about good (and not so good) times around the Mare Magnum, I sometimes drop by here on slow mornings.

Mr. Collins

7 Likes

Have a care, Mr. Collins. No one has yet been able to control the berserk rage generated by two untreated Immortals in close proximity. Any meeting is likely to end in tears. Hang on a little longer, and keep yourself safe. I anticipate good news shortly.

Other Pendragon
Knight

7 Likes

Zero:

Thank you for your reply. After Otherā€™s description of your encounter, I worried that we could ever find common ground. You give me hope.

I apologize if I seemed patronizing. I spoke from the heart, and I truly believe what I said. Iā€™m neither innocent nor naive. A millennium and a half will knock that out of you right smartly. (I could tell you storiesā€¦) But my experience has been of a world where it is possible to get along, and I gather yours has not. That does not render either experience invalid, but I believe you may have absorbed too much of the aggressive impulses of those you have killed. I swear, some of the Immortals Iā€™ve met seem to have spent their long, long lives as fourteen-year-old boys.

Iā€™m sorry, but I really canā€™t accept your generous invitation at the moment (Dorsia, eh? Drool. Rain check?). Iā€™m currently out of the country, but I expect to be back soon with some news that will be in your interest, no matter what your views on peaceniks.

Regards,
Myfanwy

7 Likes

Looks at empty space on social calendar

plans trip to Metropolitan Museum of Art

or possibly Wales

8 Likes

~interior scene,@Malevolentpixyā€™s head~

3 Likes

O my brothers and sisters, the time is come! This morning I nailed the following declaration to the door of Castle Messana, home to the tyrant @messana.

To the Tyrant Messana:

Deposed
https://bbs.elsewhere.cafe/uploads/default/original/2X/3/3a6ec5301c1b95bd05465383622f70b7dcca1539.jpg

Sir:

Too many good people have died already. We the undersigned cannot in good conscience continue to fight our fellow Immortals for your incomprehensible purposes. We hereby withhold/withdraw our stances for the Gathering. Note that this declaration does not preclude our acting in our own defense in the future, individually or collectively.

Signed,

Other Pendragon @teknocholer
Mr Collins @David_Falkayn
Jane @MalevolentPixy

I call on all Immortals to join our cause!
Hier stehe ich. Ich kann nicht anders.

4 Likes

I didnā€™t get into this business to have any relationships! I donā€™t want to join your goddamn union.

8 Likes

Whatā€™s that martial beat, that somewhat bloodthirsty tune, that wafts on the breeze like an exhalation from the mouth of Hell?

What is this voice from beyond the veil?

Oi, oi, oi
Oi, oi, oi
Oi, oi, oi
Oi, oi, oi
Oi, oi, oi

See me ride out of the sunset
On your color TV screen
Out for all that I can get
If you know what I mean
Women to the left of me
And women to the right
Ainā€™t got no gun
Ainā€™t got no knife
Donā€™t you start no fight

'Cause Iā€™m T.N.T. Iā€™m dynamite
T.N.T. and Iā€™ll win the fight
T.N.T. Iā€™m a power load
T.N.T. watch me explode

Iā€™m dirty, mean and mighty unclean
Iā€™m a wanted man
Public enemy number one
Understand
So lock up your daughter
Lock up your wife
Lock up your back door
And run for your life
The man is back in town
Donā€™t you mess me 'round

'Cause Iā€™m T.N.T. Iā€™m dynamite
T.N.T. and Iā€™ll win the fight
T.N.T. Iā€™m a power load
T.N.T. watch me explode

T.N.T. (oi, oi, oi)
T.N.T. (oi, oi, oi)
T.N.T. (oi, oi, oi)
T.N.T. (oi, oi, oi)
T.N.T. (oi, oi, oi)
Iā€™m dynamite (oi, oi)
T.N.T. (oi, oi, oi)
And Iā€™ll win the fight (oi, oi, oi)
T.N.T. (oi, oi, oi)
Iā€™m a power load (oi, oi, oi)
T.N.T.
Watch me explode

7 Likes

[Meanwhile, outside Forte Gonzaga in Sicily, two men approach the main door to discover a note with a conspicuous black spot has been stabbed into place. As they investigate, they begin to gesticulate and speak in an increasingly agitated manner.]

Salvatore: ā€œEhi! Stugatz! Che cosā€™ĆØ questo scherzo?ā€

Paolo: ā€œFanculo. Chi diavolo ha fatto questo?ā€

[Paolo takes the note down from the door]

Salvatore: ā€œPensi che Giacomo sia stato ubriaco di nuovo?ā€

Paolo: ā€œCazzo, hanno graffiato la porta. Che cazzo ĆØ questo, un pugnale?ā€

Salvatore: ā€œFranceso sarĆ  incazzato. Cosa dice la nota?ā€

[Paolo holds his head as he reads and re-reads the note, trying to make sense of it.]

Paolo: ā€œAlcune stronzate di immortali che combattono ā€¦ o non combattono ā€¦ o merda come quellaā€.

Salvatore: ā€œSegaiolo. Quel ragazzo deve smettere di bere cosƬ tanto.ā€

Paolo: ā€œVafanculo. Andiamo a lavorare.ā€

[The two men enter the fort and start their labors for the day as Paolo wads up the note and tosses it over his shoulder.]

9 Likes
7 Likes

So be it.

4 Likes

Several of us, especially Zero, know this place well ā€“ even if the current structure is but a recent folly

So the archivist has (at least) three friends out there.

And theyā€™re a bunch of old Italian men that really donā€™t appear to give a fuck.

Lovely. We might get better luck getting their attention asking Jane to chase them around their compound with her jade axe. While I remain committed to the peaceful path, if more us of forced to fight against our will, we might want to consider to expanding our, ā€œconversation,ā€ to include them. After all, theyā€™re apparently immortals, too. How do they resist the madness? Do they, really?

Even if we were to just camp out there, The Kurgan would findā€¦ all of us.
While waited, the food would be fantastic!

Your In Truth,

-Mr Collins

p.s. This site is ancient. It contains multitudes. Zero has memories. I have records. and weā€™re not the only ones.

4 Likes

5 Likes

Forte Gonzaga, also known as Castel Gonzaga, is a bastioned fort in Messina, Sicily.
ā€“ Wikipedia

DAMN Google autofill!

4 Likes

I forget my manners. Welcome to the Gathering, Comrade Kurgan. How convenient of you to show up just in time to make threats on behalf of your master.

Youā€™ve always had good success picking off lone Immortals, especially from behind. How do you feel about facing three working as a team? Yes, my companions have been given the Mirror, the medication that blocks the receptors that drive us mad when we are exposed to the pheromones of other Immortals. We can still detect them, but they do not make us berserk.

We have no intention of fading away. (You do know what ā€œimmortalā€ means, right?) We have plans. One of which involves you.

6 Likes