Blade Runner 2049 Trailer released!

Maybe I’ll be able to stay awake through this one :wink:

10 Likes

quite stoked for this, but i’m worried that it will be too explodey and chase-sceney. one of the things i love about the original is how it’s all about characters and atmosphere. i will say they seem to have nailed the look and the music. if it’s not vangelis, it sure sounds like him

7 Likes

This looks great, although I have many of the same fears that @franko mentioned. I would be rolling my eyes at the entire concept, honestly, if Denis Villeneuve wasn’t directing – after Arrival, I’ve got a lot of faith in his ability to pull this off.

The presence of Jared Leto playing Jared Leto is not encouraging, however.

It’s the same composer from Arrival, Jóhann Jóhannsson, doing a Vangelis impression.

6 Likes

I’m still not sure what to make of this. Ryan Gosling, for all I like him in other films, looks too soft for this world, like a Zhora-type replicant – or even an irate fish vendor – could break him in half with one hand. I’ll probably wind up seeing it anyhow, but I’m just not entranced. The first film, the first clip I ever saw was that owl just settling on his perch, and I was entranced.

3 Likes

I’m pretty excited for this- for whatever reason, Ryan Gosling isn’t bothering me, and the director/composer both seem well suited to the project. I’m ok with it being pretty different than the original- tone matters more to me than some of the other specifics.

Jared Leto being in it is going to bother me. A bunch. I’ve no idea why, but I have serious issues with him in almost anything I’ve seen him in.

5 Likes

i have no problem with Jared Leto – i honestly don’t grok why he gathers so much scorn. but then again, i’ve liked him since his “My So-Called Life” days as Jordan Catalano, the bad-boy emo dreamboat.

The trailer doesn’t seem to be promising anything other than to rehash the same concepts as the original.

And to impale Harrison Ford with something. I’m guessing rebar this time.

3 Likes

Meh. They’ve preserved the look but it sounds like they’re just as clueless on the plot. It looks like they’re setting it up for a big war between humans and replicants with lots of sex and violence and none of the interesting stuff Dick actually wrote about.

Now if they were going to shift the war into some variation of Second Variety…that would be interesting. Not that they will.

4 Likes

another possibility is that it brings in the concept from the dick story that there are already replicants among us and that perhaps the gosling character or even the ford character are themselves replicants. this could lead to both a motivation for and a solution to the war scenario.

2 Likes

It isn’t the 80s anymore. Do they make slow movies anymore?

3 Likes

I’ve read the novel. Almost nothing Dick wrote about was in the original movie…

5 Likes

You might describe Arrival as a ‘slow movie’. A very deliberate, lyrical, atmospheric movie about alien linguistics. I’m hoping that future trailers/clips reveal this movie to be as atmospheric as the original and not just shooty/explody.

6 Likes

yeah, i didn’t get a chance to see it, but i hear that Arrival was a slower-paced, thoughtful movie that way.

3 Likes

Arrival – and the original Blade Runner – are both good examples of how it doesn’t need to be an explain to be a visually riveting effect.

Slight spoilers: that part in Arrival where Amy Adams learns about the interior geometry/gravity of the ship? Brilliant. And also a very quiet, yet tense, scene.

3 Likes

In general, we go to two movies a year in the theatre; one at my son’s birthday (thank you, Marvel, for making it a movie he really wants to see until 2020) and at X-mas (thank you, Disney, sorta, for reducing the options for what that movie is going to be down to one until around 2020).

I may have to go see this in a theatre.

4 Likes

Just made me nostalgic for Spalding Gray. There will never be a movie more exciting of a guy sitting at a desk than Swimming to Cambodia. RIP Spalding.

Side note: I was this close || to spending a weekend with Spalding in the country skinny dipping and tripping on shrooms. But my first wife was in a pissy mood after the show. And so made us ditch some friends that were trying to find us after the show to bring us along with him for a weekend get away. When I found out the following week I was so pissed. And now he is gone.

3 Likes

I adore that movie. He was the greatest storyteller of our time.

Other notoriously (or awesomely) ‘slow’ movies that come to mind:
My Dinner with Andre
Zodiac
Barry Lyndon
Fantastic Planet
Baraka
The Thin Blue Line (or anything by Errol Morris)
Koyaanisqatsi

7 Likes

All great movies listed there. In high school we watched Fantastic Planet a lot. Emphasis on: a lot.

Some others that come to mind:

4 Likes

let us not forget the tarkovsky version of “solaris.”

6 Likes

Was time lapse the one where instead of buying a lottery ticket they kept betting on the dogs?

1 Like