Blip: Avast CCleaner Served Malware. For a month

4 Likes

As a regular user of CCleaner, this scares the crap out me. I skipped updating because the new UI looks like crap. Going to check the computers today but I think I’m safe.

3 Likes

Ugh. And Avast is so pushy about their updates (pun intended). I don’t like them, but I don’t like anyone else for AV either.

Thanks for mentioning.

2 Likes

who watches the watchman?

2 Likes

HA!! I’m safe cause I’m using Windows 3.11 to post this!!!

Had this on my wife’s computer, got rid of it and have never looked back.

2 Likes

Supposedly only ClamAV can catch it.

4 Likes

I don’t trust any security products with names that sound natural coming from the mouths of pirates.

Last time (years ago) I cleaned out somebody else’s computer of viruses and malware and crazy toolbars and who knows what, it already had Avast AV but it simply didn’t work.

I deleted Avast, installed the AVG Free AV instead, and that took care of everything.

Still seems like a waste of resources to keep it installed and running all the time.

2 Likes

I preferred the graphic novel.

On topic, as far as I can see possibly the only antivirus that actually work are:

Windows Defender, so long as you have nothing to hide, Citizen.

Kaspersky, because if the gummint is objecting to its use that implies they haven’t managed to backdoor it. (Kaspersky is such an object of suspicion that they have to be ultra clean, like Huawei.)

1 Like

Lenovo’s home computers have been coming with McAfee installed, unremovably. If you carried out the removal from the control panel, it was left behind, running in the background and nagging you while interfering with any other AV. You have to download a special removal tool from the Lenovo website.
Now I just explain to people “Thinkpads good, everything else Lenovo bad.”

3 Likes

What does CCleaner have to do with Avast? The company is Piriform…

1 Like

AVG bought Piriform earlier this year, and then Avast bought AVG.

2 Likes

Ah. That’s not clear on their website (I even looked for something like that).

1 Like