Book Bingo Challenge

Rules:
Go to web site. Here.
Create a card.
Try to get Bingo by reading books.

My wife and I are trying to do blackout this Summer. She is very good and I’m a horrible procrastinator.

If you can help me with book recommendations, i might have a chance.

Some of my categories:

• by or about a member of the LGBTQ community.
• by a Canadian author.
• with a family member (wife, son, uncle, etc.) in the title.
• written by a Nobel prize winner.
• an alternate history.

If you have answers or your own challenging categories, please post.

5 Likes

Well I’m reading the first volume of the Feynman lectures on physics so thats the nobel category.

3 Likes

For you first, my go-to is Seaman McGuire (fantasy)/Mira Grant (horror). These are the same person. I probably have others from this category on my shelves but I haven’t really been paying attention. She’s good for having representation in a lot of her books, though.

Canadian, pick your poison: Guy Gabriel Kay; Pierre Berton (non-fiction, mostly, but if you have kids, The Secret World of Og is fantastic); Cory Doctorow was one of ours, once; Howard Engel (had a stroke, lost the ability to read. Kept writing.); Margaret Atwood; Yann Martel; William Gibson, of course; Vincent Lam; if you have small children, definitely Robert Munsch… it’s a long list.

3 Likes

I like Michael Cunningham. He’s best known for The Hours, but that’s not his best book IMO. I would recommend Flesh And Blood instead.

The Blind Assassin by Margaret Atwood. One of many many recommendations I could give, but this one just popped out. I liked this one even better than The Handmaid’s Tale.

The Time Traveler’s Wife by Audrey Niffenegger. I never thought I’d like this book, but I loved it. Interesting and obviously nonlinear character development, and vivid descriptions of 1980s Chicago.

Sinclair Lewis! It doesn’t matter what you pick by him, it’s all good withering sardonic social commentary.

Not my favorite category on the list, but I’d pick Farthing by Jo Walton. Takes place in 1950s Britain after the Nazis won the war.

How much time do we have for this? Is it a one year thing or just for the summer? If it’s for the whole year, is it retroactive to the beginning of the year?

3 Likes

Just the summer, starting Memorial Day weekend. Thanks everybody for these great suggestions. A lot of times I’m reading this and slapping my head. “Oh yeah, there’s a good author.”

3 Likes

If you like this sort of thing, it’s not short, but a light read with lots of short scenarios:

2 Likes