Book clubs

@ mods: could this be pinned for a day or two while we get votes in? Would be great to use this for community-building.

4 Likes

your wish is my command

6 Likes

Thank you <3

4 Likes

The only reason I have never been part of a book club before is that I never tend to be on board with reading other people’s choices for books.

I’ve still got a pile of unread books that I actually chose to read. So if we go ahead with this, please excuse the inevitable dipping in and out.

9 Likes

Wow. What is up with the poll results display on Android?

You guys loom large in my imagination… but usually not that large!

7 Likes

What browser? Looked fine on my phone…

Update: I lied. That’s horrible.

6 Likes

That’s bizarre. A mod might be able to set public=false in the poll options which should hide those; I’m not allowed to change it.

Yep, that’s it. I’m using Chrome 62.0.3202.84 on Android 6.0.1

1 Like

Oddly, I’m not having an issue, so it’s either fixed or my system isn’t acting buggy for once. (Samsung Galaxy s4, Samsung browser (Chromium mod) 6.2.01.12 on Android 5.0.1)

Edited to add: also good on Kindle Fire’s Silk browser.

Anyone else think the closing of nominations was a tad rushed? The thread itself is only three days old.

3 Likes

Not me! My suggestion is in it!

:slight_smile:
Maybe though.

2 Likes

It’s possible I guessed poorly about typical visitor frequency, I don’t know. I’m not exactly sure why I thought I had the right to take it over in the first place, either :confused: Maybe @enso at any minute will denounce me as thread usurper, reclaiming a rightful place enacting a wiser, fairer book selection process…

2 Likes

Are you both using the Earthtones theme? I’m not seeing any weirdness with the default theme on Chrome 62.0.3202.84 on Android 8.1.

If it’s the theme, @tinoesroho will have to take a look at it, since that’s his baby.

2 Likes

Yup, I’m using Earthtones.

1 Like

Back at the old place, we started one of these Book Club things. It took days and days (weeks?) to select a book and then settle on a reading/discussion schedule. Don’t rush it, if you want more than a couple participants!

If you wanna see how we set it up, look at this longish thread.

We started thinking about it in January '15, and didn’t finish reading the book until April. We went at a leisurely one-chapter-per-week rate so we could discuss as we went.

2 Likes

Yeah it seemed kinda quick to me too, and the process seems like it could be designed to engage more. I would suggest doing a two or three step poll; first poll on the genre; it seems like there are a few genres represented but some folks might not be in to say biolgraphies or nonfiction in general, which leaves few options to pick from. I think if you decide genre first you could then solicit recommendations on that genre and get more activity. And if there is enough interest, you might have several polls/clubs going.

Match Game '75 slash fiction

4 Likes

OK, how do people want to handle this? Does anyone else want to take over operations?

1 Like

You could tell Richard Dawson had a thing going on with Charles Nelson Reiley.

4 Likes