Book clubs

Thank you <3

4 Likes

The only reason I have never been part of a book club before is that I never tend to be on board with reading other peopleā€™s choices for books.

Iā€™ve still got a pile of unread books that I actually chose to read. So if we go ahead with this, please excuse the inevitable dipping in and out.

9 Likes

Wow. What is up with the poll results display on Android?

You guys loom large in my imaginationā€¦ but usually not that large!

7 Likes

What browser? Looked fine on my phoneā€¦

Update: I lied. Thatā€™s horrible.

6 Likes

Thatā€™s bizarre. A mod might be able to set public=false in the poll options which should hide those; Iā€™m not allowed to change it.

Yep, thatā€™s it. Iā€™m using Chrome 62.0.3202.84 on Android 6.0.1

1 Like

Oddly, Iā€™m not having an issue, so itā€™s either fixed or my system isnā€™t acting buggy for once. (Samsung Galaxy s4, Samsung browser (Chromium mod) 6.2.01.12 on Android 5.0.1)

Edited to add: also good on Kindle Fireā€™s Silk browser.

Anyone else think the closing of nominations was a tad rushed? The thread itself is only three days old.

3 Likes

Not me! My suggestion is in it!

:slight_smile:
Maybe though.

2 Likes

Itā€™s possible I guessed poorly about typical visitor frequency, I donā€™t know. Iā€™m not exactly sure why I thought I had the right to take it over in the first place, either :confused: Maybe @enso at any minute will denounce me as thread usurper, reclaiming a rightful place enacting a wiser, fairer book selection processā€¦

2 Likes

Are you both using the Earthtones theme? Iā€™m not seeing any weirdness with the default theme on Chrome 62.0.3202.84 on Android 8.1.

If itā€™s the theme, @tinoesroho will have to take a look at it, since thatā€™s his baby.

2 Likes

Yup, Iā€™m using Earthtones.

1 Like

Back at the old place, we started one of these Book Club things. It took days and days (weeks?) to select a book and then settle on a reading/discussion schedule. Donā€™t rush it, if you want more than a couple participants!

If you wanna see how we set it up, look at this longish thread.

We started thinking about it in January '15, and didnā€™t finish reading the book until April. We went at a leisurely one-chapter-per-week rate so we could discuss as we went.

2 Likes

Yeah it seemed kinda quick to me too, and the process seems like it could be designed to engage more. I would suggest doing a two or three step poll; first poll on the genre; it seems like there are a few genres represented but some folks might not be in to say biolgraphies or nonfiction in general, which leaves few options to pick from. I think if you decide genre first you could then solicit recommendations on that genre and get more activity. And if there is enough interest, you might have several polls/clubs going.

Match Game '75 slash fiction

4 Likes

OK, how do people want to handle this? Does anyone else want to take over operations?

1 Like

You could tell Richard Dawson had a thing going on with Charles Nelson Reiley.

4 Likes

Canā€™t we be leaderless?
Iā€™m happy to take proposals. If someone wants to lead a more structured approach, Iā€™m all for them doing so.

I guess one important thing to ask is, if we did reopen to more nominations, does anyone have any?

Iā€™d have a few, but theyā€™d all be politics or history, which might not be what people are interested in reading at the moment.

One of them would be Primo Leviā€™s The Periodic Table. Something like that is particularly book-club friendly, as each chapter is a self-contained story within a broader framework. Short story collections may be a good idea if people want to stick to fiction.