Brushes With Greatness

OH, this is not my brush with greatness, but my bestie and her former partner were room mates with Eugene Roddenberry in college for a while (he went by Rod then).

15 Likes

Okay, so I keep forgetting about this friend of my dad’s. He’s not world-famous except in his very specific field. There, he’s the kind of guy where if you mention his name, other practitioners will stare at you as though you just said (and could credibly prove) that you are longtime friends with Mick Jagger (no, we are not. I said within his specific and limited field).

How is this relevant? Because it’s a small sense of how it must feel to be a non-famous friend of a famous person. People have this awe and admiration, and you can’t help but think “… but that’s Bob. He’s just this guy, you know?”

11 Likes

“Todd, get off my couch!”

6 Likes

I just now remember that’s the situation with my younger brother.

He’s presented research papers and been recognized(?) at Oxford. In the last year or so, I met a resident doctor studying for neurology, and somehow the topic of names cropped up between him, his girlfriend and I. I mentioned my brother’s name, and the med student started fanboy-ing.
I told my brother, and he was surprised as well.

I was just like, “Dude, I used to fight over dibs for the front seat of the car with him.”

14 Likes

In science (and academia in general) it’s common to be friends with some world famous (in his or her specific and limited field) person, who is otherwise not known.

6 Likes

Which is why so many of them can be such assholes

5 Likes

When the Deepwater Horizon disaster happened, one of the professors on my thesis committee was one of the first to call BP on their bullshit. He was all over the news at that time, and I recognized his voice the first time I heard it on the radio. I told anyone who would listen* that that guy advised my thesis, making me an academic descendant of a temporarily famous person.

*Nobody would.

12 Likes

Reminds me of the saying:

Academic polics are so vicious precisely because the stakes are so small.

11 Likes

Sounds like the new Avengers movie is being filmed at my parents neighbour.

I will have to see that one.

11 Likes

Who’s playing Steed? Who’s playing Mrs. Peel?

7 Likes

New avengers so purdey and gambit then.

4 Likes

Ah. Being filmed in Toronto, then? :wink:

5 Likes

I was almost fired by this guy because I wasn’t cheerful enough.

A very good orator, but he was a toxic human being, even for the other lawyers around him.

7 Likes

Years ago at a club on Ling Island Tommy James was playing. I was standing with a friend in the back and he jumps off the stage mid song, runs over & starts talking to me saying how great it is to see me. Chats for what seemed like an eternity while the band jams - realized that I wasn’t whoever he thought I was - runs back to the stage - jumps up - continues with the show.

17 Likes

I once floored British Heavyweight boxing champion Chris Eubank in a Brighton supermarket one night.
I say “floored”, but I wasn’t looking where I was going and he was crouched down at a shelf and I walked into him, spilling French bread everywhere, but it still counts as a takedown, right?
He was very nice about it too.

22 Likes

Welcome to our two newest members, by the way

21 Likes

heh that’s actually better than just meeting him in the normal way.
our friend Reed moved away to CA years ago and then Stranger Things was filmed here and in the 2nd season the acting community started finding our bars and clubs. the teen boy in ST looks a lot like Reed and my friend Nev saw him out. “Hey, man! Didn’t know you were back!” etc for a minute and then–you kinda have to know Nev but the idea is he doesn’t really believe in social graces–he realizes his mistake and just goes “Wait, you’re not Reed” and abruptly turns and walks off, leaving the actor in perplexed silence.
Reed was pretty well-known around here as an ace battle rapper, so I wonder if that mistake keeps happening.

13 Likes

New members Ahoy! :metal:t6::wave:t4::octopus::cherry_blossom:

15 Likes

Tamsin!

giphy3

15 Likes

And Kathy!!

4 Likes