Can I Get Through Healthcare.Gov?

1. I can’t use phones. They changed verification, so it no longer requires phone calls. They still ask questions where they ask people to affirm that we can contact them by phone or tty, and they warn that our answers may affect our eligibility. I can’t use phones, so I can’t register for relay services, so I can’t contact them by tty either.

2. I don’t have enough of an income to be eligible for subsidies, so I get re-routed to the Medicaid, which wasn’t expanded, so they tell me to go back to the Marketplace.

3. I can’t apply on the Marketplace because I already have an appplication for Medicaid.

4. I am not eligible for the Marketplace, anyway, for reasons not stated-- possibly due to my disabilities.

5. I can’t ask for their help, because federal accessibility requirements don’t require accessibility, such as alternatives to phones and tty.

P.S. “Based on your application, you’re not eligible to buy a Marketplace plan. You also don’t qualify for Virginia Medicaid or Family Access to Medical Insurance Security (FAMIS) (CHIP). You might be able to get health care at a lower cost through a community health center. They provide primary care services on a sliding scale based on your income. Visit HealthCare.gov/community-health-centers to learn more.” (The “community-health-centers” page likes like Google Migraine-Hammers)

P.P.S.

2 Likes

I don’t know much about Obamacare Trumpcare, but this sounds like something a healthcare “navigator” could help with.
https://localhelp.healthcare.gov/#/

2 Likes

P.S. I contacted the nearest assisstance office by email, maybe they won’t require pain calls this time.

P.P.S. I can’t find any nearby community health centers.

1 Like

Its almost as if someone was trying to sabotage the whole thing

2 Likes

Yes, although my problems are mostly due to the old sabotage, such as the non-expansion of Medicaid and the shortage of community health centers.

I was only able to get through in early 2014 because I was still able to use phones at the time. I wasn’t able to get through in late 2014, late 2015, or late 2016, so my coverage rolled over. I finally got through now, so the computer was able to say no, so my coverage won’t roll over now.

I don’t think there’s a deliberate policy to exclude those of us who can’t use phones, either, just no rush to include us; section 508 standards permit agencies to exclude us.

1 Like

I’ve written an email here, using my denial to explain how the current section 508 standards allow disability discrimination:

https://www.section508.gov/content/contact-us

I’ve also contacted one of my doctors, to see if I can schedule some things before the deadline.

P.S. Unfortunately, section508.gov send me an auto-reply about “courses” being moved to another site. I have no idea if emails to these contact address will be read.

1 Like

My current insurer offers another program. I’ve tried contacting them on the 27th and 29th, but haven’t heard back.