Canada Mildly Improves Workers' Tights, Bosses Throw Shitfit

A spectre is haunting the bosses: the spectre of Treating People Marginally Better.

The Canadian government passed legislation this year, in several different bills, taking effect this week, that marginally improved worker rights:

• schedules now have to be announced at least 4 days in advance, at a minimum
  • rest period between shifts is now a minimum of 8 hours
  • Overtime is no longer mandatory
  • workers are now entitled to three weeks of vacation after five years
  • workers are now entitled to a minimum of five unpaid personal days per annum
  • First Nations workers are entitled to five unpaid days per annum to attend traditional ceremonies

Shane Todd and the bosses are NOT happy

10 Likes

“Nasty surprise?”

Only if you ignore the studies showing (surprise!) well-rested people are better workers, and that countries with more leave time have better economies.

But, you know, fuck the facts of they don’t support tradition.

12 Likes

Canada Mildly Improves Workers’ Tights

I generally only wear tights when skiing, so I guess I’m going to have to wait until winter to see the benefits.

16 Likes

I hope this also applies to pilots (re the recent story I assume everybody saw about the near-disaster at SFO in 2017).

EDIT changed LAX to SFO

7 Likes

That took effect last December:

https://www.canada.ca/en/transport-canada/news/2018/12/overview-of-the-new-regulations-on-flight-crew-fatigue-management.html

6 Likes

Not to change the subject too much, but I try to avoid NP/FP in general, as it tends to the regressive…

I doubt he would have raised a peep if five men had been selected.

3 Likes

Um…the topic name reads “Workers’ Tights”…is it just Canadians who perform ballet, Mel Brooks movies about Robin Hood, et al?

Frankly, it doesn’t seem to matter what improves for workers - the bosses don’t seem to like happy workers, and that’s a whole 'nuther topic.

5 Likes

They always insist fewer hours = less work done and therefore more costs, and yet somehow it’s never true.

5 Likes

I think “tights” is right but the bosses were actually throwing a Suitfit. It’s a kind of suarez for tailors.

4 Likes