Canning, preserving, recipes, etc

It’s something I’m checking out, for sure! As soon as medical marijuana became legal here, hydro stores appeared all over. I went into one just recently to ask about a small growing setup for veggies and the dudebro there was like “So uhhh… you wanna grow some… herb? Green… herb… in a POT… heh heh heh…” Yeah, dude. I get it. It’s cool. I like tomatoes.

And I am a son, so that works out well.

2 Likes

Aged about 19 or so, I wandered into a local hardware store to buy tomato fertiliser and the guy behind the counter cracked up laughing and said “oh, do you want to buy some lights too?”

I was very offended. I mean, I already had the lights; what kind of prick buys liquid nutrients without having plants growing already??

4 Likes

I used to grow my own. You can’t get anything spicier than an habanero in most grocery stores, so I grew my own from seeds.

If powdered is okay, you can find the powdered stuff more easily. You can try Christina’s Spice and Specialty Foods in Inman Square. I know they have bhut jolokia, but I don’t know if they have reaper peppers or anything like that.

1 Like

You know, I always forget what a wonderful store that is, mostly because I loathe parking in Inman Square. But you’re right, they’d be the place to go. I’ve picked up dried peppers there, too, that I couldn’t find anywhere else.

2 Likes

The back yard. This year, we’re stocking up on Scotch Bonnet.

To keep the bunnies out, you have two options - chickenwire, or peletized deterrents. Fox or coyote piss works rather well (you can get this at your local organic gardening center).

5 Likes

I would go with the piss. IME chickenwire isn’t that great at keeping bunnies out. They always find a way under, over, or through. Dense chickenwire buried a foot or so deep might do it, but I haven’t had that much luck.

But it’s true, bunnies will eat hot peppers.

3 Likes

If I bother, this is how I do it. We’ve done well with “rabbit” fencing fabric or the 1/2" chicken wire (buried) and deterrents in the past. This year, I skipped the fence and had tolerable results with just the deterrents. Dried blood worked pretty well at keeping the chipmunks and skunks away. Squirrels, however, are hunted mercilessly.

3 Likes

And deterrents, or or deterrents?

Just fencing hasn’t worked that well for me, unless I want to go way deep and spend more effort putting up a fence than I probably feel I should.

It’s that time of year again. Lots of squirrels everywhere. They’re okay as food, but they’re small.

3 Likes

The neighbor’s dog just loves tearing them apart. So much joy! Total PITA to try to eat according to Mr. Kidd, so let the dog have a few minutes of fun.

3 Likes

i’ve been thinking about making my own miso – anyone ever done it? it doesn’t sound super difficult, it’s just a lot of waiting. my only hesitation is that it makes a LOT of miso in a batch (7 lbs!) and i’m not sure if i can cut it in half or not.

but the allure of fresh, home-made miso is so strong…

5 Likes

WANTED: a GREAT sugar cookie recipe

I’ve searched the www but I see so many conflicting reviews. I trust you all. Anyone got a good one?

1 Like

I unfortunately don’t have any specific suggestions (and my go-to site for ideas on recipes I haven’t made didn’t have any for this), but one aspect of that would probably have to do with what you’re looking for. Similar to chocolate chip cookies, sugar cookies come in chewy or crisp, different textures, how sugary, etc. Getting a type you’re not expecting can be a bit of a let-down, even if someone else thought they were great.

2 Likes

I’m going for buttery, vanilla-y, and a little soft inside. I’m open to a little sugar crystals on the outside.

2 Likes

Decided I’m going to try Preppy Kitchen’s recipe because I haven’t tried any of his recipes yet and they always look good.

2 Likes

I made them and they turned out so pretty. I can’t tell yet if I like how they turned out because I ate so much cookie dough and now I can’t taste right.

5 Likes

Avoid old women wearing black clothes, conical hats, etc, and living in gingerbread houses. They might decide to show you that you can taste right. :wink:

4 Likes

3 Likes

Not sure how I feel about them. They were like a high end Nilla wafer. Seemed like it was missing a flavor. The texture was interesting. Like a shortbread. Seems like something to play around with. Perhaps a touch of almond extract.

1 Like

Sorry, I am late to the party. Real Life is hectic.

This is not so much a sugar cookie, as a sugar cookie with attitude. A lot of brown sugar, so some chew and more flavor than a traditional sugar cookie. And if you live in a place where cannabutter is available, this is a good place to use it. It gives it a nice vegetal flavor.

5 Likes

Is it odd that now I’m suddenly wondering what a sugar cookie made with caramelized sugar would be like?

6 Likes