Crowdsourcing my lack of memory

Over a decade ago, I created an account on a big system (gmail). I had pre-emptively created it for a future project, and didn’t use it. This was just before or when I started using a password manager. And I didn’t save the login info.

Now, over a decade later, I’m having trouble logging in. And the security question I set myself all those years ago is baffling me.

“What was the tyrant’s name?” is my question. Something I thought sure I would know in the future. But there have been so many tyrants.

I’ve tried a few historical answers - ‘genghis khan’ and such, and even fictional ones like ‘hope hubris’ (maybe I was reading Bio of a Space Tyrant when I created the account). But no luck.

So I’m crowdsourcing - what was the tyrant’s name in 2011?

2 Likes

“With 2011 dubbed “The Year of the Tyrants,” observers predict that 2012 will be Syrian President Bashar al-Assad’s final year in power while warning of the bloody cost and regional ramifications his demise might cause.”

4 Likes

Œdipus?

In Greek he was a Turanos.

1 Like

Let’s see.

The Arab Spring was in full swing then, targeting the various Tyrants running Bahrain, Saudi Arabia, Egypt, Libya, Syria, Tunisia, UAE, and Yemen. Are any of those likely to have struck a particularly tyrannical nerve? (The Ivory coast overthrew their president in 2011 as well.)

Bin Laden was slain, the Occupy movement began, Gaddafi was slain, and Kim Jong Il died.

Quite a few Tyrant- and Tyrant-adjacent events to choose from!

4 Likes

There was also a show called Tyrant. Did you watch that enough to choose his name for this?

3 Likes

Apart from the news, what books or movies do you remember enjoying?

1 Like

Lots of good suggestions here. Alas, I’m locked out of trying now due to too many failed attempts. Perhaps tomorrow I can try a few more ideas.

It seems likely that I picked something either from history, classic literature, or (this just occurred to me) perhaps a poetic metaphor. Typically I make these things so that if I don’t know I could (hypothetically) easily find and recognize it. But I must’ve misjudged when I made that one.

1 Like

Are you a fan of Resident Evil games?

2 Likes

Maybe a synonym will trigger an association:

autocrat, bully, despot, dictator, oppressor, absolutist, authoritarian, inquisitor, martinet, HOA president

6 Likes

Oh no!

2 Likes

So whatever happened here?

Was it a roommate? The dominant cat in the home? Or an actual historical tyrant after all?

Sadly I remain locked out and it no longer even gives the ‘security question’ option. The only option is to send an email to the ‘recovery email’ address, which stupidly enough I had set as my work address at the time.

I suppose I could ask my old boss if they need some part-time contracting work, and if they’d reactivate my email for it, but it’s not really worth that. Which makes me wonder if my old boss’s name was the answer :rofl:

3 Likes

:thinking:

2 Likes