Culture-Class Wars

2 Likes

You canā€™t tell me that Texas doesnā€™t have its own peculiar culture, and has ever since the white man got there (even before, moreā€™n likely).

And they already have their own grid, whoopee! But I bet Mexico wonā€™t want any Texans going over its borders illegallyā€¦

We know that areawise, Alaska is bigger than Texas. If TX does secede (snicker), which state would takes its place as 2d largest state in the US? California? Iā€™m just guessing here, I havenā€™t looked it up.

2 Likes

Ugh. Justā€¦itā€™s so gross, lol, I hadda post it. But Iā€™m having a hard time reading it. I meanā€¦ick.

2 Likes

Wasnā€™t as gross as I thought, esp. since I didnā€™t follow any external links, lol.

1 Like
3 Likes

____________ Uber Alles?
(fill in blank)

2 Likes

Apparently the guy who assassinated Shinzo Abe was mad about the Unification church, blaming Abe for giving them this kind of support in Japan. A little deeper and you get a lot of conspiracy theory about George Bush Sr. and the CIAā€¦ because of course they dabbled in setting up right-wing religious cults.

3 Likes
6 Likes

Ah yes, sounding the alarm that there might be slightly less wealth inequality in the futureā€¦

5 Likes
2 Likes
1 Like
3 Likes

I thought this only happened in NYC? And not even in just the movies.

1 Like
3 Likes

boy, that and the Coconut Grove fireā€¦ two things i think about every time i push a door open to get out of a buildingā€¦ talk about horrific fires.

3 Likes

Donā€™t forget the Iroquois Theater fire too (over 600 victims):

4 Likes

oh wow, i didnā€™t know about this one. jesus.

3 Likes

My mom told me about 1943. And itā€™s written about in ā€œJitterbugā€, a novel in the ā€œDetroitā€ series by Loren Estleman.

2 Likes
3 Likes

Fashion was once a way to tell who was wealthy and/or titled from who wasnā€™t. It still is, in a way, only the titles donā€™t always involve nobility.

Even prior to Louis XIV, there were ā€œsumptuary lawsā€ which decided who of what class and/or noble rank could wear what. I read that in the non-fiction history book, ā€œA Distant Mirror The Calamitous 14th Centuryā€ by Barbara W. Tuchman.

2 Likes