We need another disaster for after COVID-19 is over

3 Likes
4 Likes

as expected

3 Likes

“Screw him. I’ll just get out my trusty Dremel tool and . . . oops.”

1 Like
6 Likes

I wonder where the part of the tuition that pays for salary is going.

2 Likes

The TA, right? Hahahahhahahah… aha. Ha.

5 Likes

Riiiiiiiiight.

3 Likes
3 Likes
3 Likes
3 Likes

Dang - fooled me for a minute. But I can just see it happening, just to listen in.

1 Like
2 Likes
2 Likes

2 Likes

It’s hilarious that the regular players are now wringing their hands and their pearls that “the average person” is going to be hurt.

7 Likes

It’s simple. The market is supposed to shut down the businesses which can’t extract the most profits for the job creators. The market isn’t supposed to shut down the latest investment scheme of our all-seeing all-wise job creators, just because of some meddling kids, so bailouts are necessary.

3 Likes
1 Like

Here’s the thing. If I could afford a robot that could pick things up and put them away? If such a thing actually existed for the consumer? I would have one so fast…

I’m ADHD. My problem with cleaning isn’t something solveable by a roomba… hell, I don’t mind the actual vacuuming part. Vacuuming is easy. Getting the floor into a condition to be vacuumed, or counters in a position to be washed… hell, I am already in the process of replacing all my dressers with shelves, because it plays nicer with putting clothes away than drawers do (pandemic has put some things on hold, though). But a robot? Even one that could pick laundry up from the floor and stick it in a laundry basket to be ready for washing and empty the garbage can and have the bag at the door for me to carry down? Would be a game changer.

Executive function issues mean the more steps in a task, the less likely it is to happen. That’s why shelves > drawers: two less steps and you can see at a glance what’s there. A robot that could make sure laundry goes in a basket, that garbage is ready to go out (bonus points for putting a fresh bag in), that could load and unload a dishwasher (and yes, if you have executive dysfunction, a dishwasher is also an important robot to have), cuts down on so many steps. It takes things from “near impossible” to “probable”.

Abled people mock the idea of a housekeeping robot, or call it lazy, but for someone like me, or someone with mobility issues… for some of us the quality of life improvement would be immense. Less stress at the idea of someone dropping by and judging you on your housekeeping (women, especially women with invisible disabilities deal with this a lot), more independence for someone physically disabled. And yes, less guilt around hiring someone¹ to do a job you “won’t” (there’s that internalized ableism again) do. Less emotional stress from another person being “the only one” to do any of the chores.

Really, before you mock anything as being only for lazy people, try to think through a disability lens. You might be surprised to find that you don’t need to be the intended market.

¹ Don’t come at me about taking people’s jobs away, because a better solution would simply be to pay all people enough to live, regardless of whether they work or not, so that such jobs can’t be used as leverage.

9 Likes

Thank you for this. My work areas are a mess, but I can focus on what I’m doing and create good stuff. Yet I always think I’m a slob and need to clean up. I’ve never been diagnosed with ADHD (plenty of other things), but a psychiatrist friend suggests I can hyperfocus (which makes sense), which I guess is part of it?

4 Likes