Cyberpunk Dystopia Review

Not a “watch” this time. One would only “watch” for something that hadn’t already arrived.

10 Likes
6 Likes

wnycstudios.org/story/91724-even-the-worst-laid-plans

5 Likes
2 Likes
2 Likes
1 Like
3 Likes

Owing to nasty barometric headache, I haven’t read this, but it may be of interest.

Facebook and other large Internet companies can monitor every word users share and instantly delete anything they don’t like. No communication medium in history has ever worked this way.

I’m not sure this writer is familiar with the early history of the printing press. The Stationers’ Company, to name one example, would absolutely monitor the words being printed and censor them if they were found seditious or heretical.

And certainly George Orwell based his Ministry of Truth off of some part of his own experiences, not a prophetic vision of the modern Internet.

Reading further, this shares a lot of similarities with Mike Godwin’s recent posts on Techdirt:

Our Bipolar Free-Speech Disorder And How To Fix It (Part 1)
Our Bipolar Free-Speech Disorder And How To Fix It (Part 2)
Our Bipolar Free-Speech Disorder And How To Fix It (Part 3)

3 Likes

I think we also need to consider directly injurious posts (such as the gif sent to Kurt Eichenwald, and, to a lesser but more pervasive extent, the interrogation of survivors of trauma), and doxxing, defamation, spamming fora with hateful posts, and general harassment. All of these have chilling effects.

1 Like
6 Likes
1 Like
1 Like

“Why the fuck does this always happen in my life?” a seemingly bewildered Paul asked the camera.

:thinking:

4 Likes
6 Likes

I infer he’s talking about the paper sequel and not the TV show?

1 Like

Yes. I pre-ordered Agency years ago, and the release date kept getting bumped back. From what I understand, he wrote it with the idea that Clinton was going to be president, and, like everyone else, was shocked when that didn’t happen, and required him to do a major rewrite.

He writes later in the thread:

2 Likes

I had been following the polls at electoral-vote.com

electoral college

the red and blue stars at the right edge illustrate how the actual result was literally the opposite of what the polls predicted

4 Likes

A little too literally. I had to look for the pays where they weren’t perfectly symmetrical to figure out what it was even depicting.

I guess in a two-party system such symmetry can be expected in a graph like that, but there were a lot of this-party candidates last time 'round.

3 Likes

WTF is this

h/t @wanderfound

4 Likes