Cyberpunk Dystopia Review

To steal from a Twitter response…

Is this gentrification of a tent city?

4 Likes

OCAP(Ontario Coalition Against Poverty) is organizing its own three-course meal right next to the installation in full view of the domed diners.

The food will be prepared by volunteers and served for free. They’re calling it “Dinner With a View — of the Rich.”

“Our chefs haven’t won any TV shows, but they do win at human decency,” Acharya said.

“We’re going to eat, we’re going to be lively and we’re going to take in the view of the brazenness of the wealthy and the brutality of our city.”

(To be clear, the temporary restaurant event is not in the same location as the homeless camp, but the optics are appalling.)

6 Likes

It’s a shame that we have to wait so long because of marketing reasons, but I’m just glad there’s a new Gibson book on the horizon.

3 Likes
3 Likes
5 Likes

Phones still aren’t accessible!

Theoretically, relay services and caption phones might make them less inaccessible, but here the federal government requires registration which isn’t accessible. I’ve been referred to local agencies for help, but it’s been a few years and they still haven’t answred my emails. I think, like most other agencies, they only work with phone calls…

3 Likes
4 Likes

Gotta launder those petrodollars before the bottom really falls out of the oil market.

5 Likes
4 Likes
4 Likes

STARTING AS SOON as next week, the Department of Homeland Security will begin piloting a program at the US-Mexico border intended to expose immigrants suspected of posing as families.

Isn’t this the same government which says women having children they can’t raise should put them up for adoption?

I know people who were stopped in the US en route to the Dominican Republic because the last name of the 15 year old son didn’t match that if his parents. His father had passed away and his mother had remarried. I can almost understand the authorities checking for kidnapping (although honestly, it seems more like concern trolling), but the family in question found it traumatic, especially since the TSA agents separated them and kept asking the same questions over and over again. The 15 year old got angry at the agent questioning him, then was frightened he’d pissed the agent off. They got through customs, but it was a bit of a shitshow.

Would a super-quick DNA test have helped? I wouldn’t count on it. It’s still invasive and illogical.

Then there’s the Icelandic friends of a colleague of mine, who had to all agree on a common last name before they could be accepted to emigrate to Canada.

And all that’s before getting to the DNA concerns raised in the article. I have uncles and aunts who aren’t related to me in the least, but they were best friends with my grandparents and therefore they’re my uncles and aunts. If anything has happened to my parents when I was a child, and they had said they would take care of me, I would have thought of it like a blood relation doing so.

“Family have DNA in common” is so gobsmackingly shortsighted a child could come up with good arguments against it. That it’s policy is embarrassing.

9 Likes
8 Likes

The roles are often reversed with my mom and me.

4 Likes

ARE WE SAFE YET

4 Likes

What do experts make of the traffic stop robot? Amy Shoemaker, a data scientist involved with the Stanford Open Policing Project, offered a mixed assessment.

[…] But given the complexities of race and policing, she said, “it doesn’t seem like a panacea.”

No shit.

It’s just one more layer of abstraction, one more barrier between cops and the rest of us that makes it just that much easier for them to dehumanize us.

6 Likes

It does rather seen to be the policing equivalent of a customer service call tree.

3 Likes

Robocop was a warning, not an instruction manual!

6 Likes
3 Likes

Got it we use starship troopers instead right?

6 Likes

Would you like to know more?

4 Likes