3 Likes
1 Like
1 Like
1 Like
1 Like
3 Likes
3 Likes
5 Likes

sigh. This could spell the deathnell for logical increments.

Tulips, Tulips, Tulips!

4 Likes

That’s so last week. The up-and-coming thing is soundcard-mining. Which is why I just bought stock in all the companies that make soundcards! /s

Some people are making a lot of profit off this whole mess, selling shovels to the miners.

4 Likes
1 Like
1 Like
5 Likes

Time to nationalize 'em.

2 Likes

h/t @ficuswhisperer

5 Likes

3 Likes

The problem, of course, that it’s asymmetric: the bad guys can fail over and over, but the good guys only need to fail once before they lose.

We designed networks to be open, and it’s really hard to close them up without inconveniencing the employees.

That said, I am really shocked that Microsoft hasn’t hardened Windows enough to kill this trend dead. We have our Exchange server locked down so tight now that it’s annoying, but so far we have not been attacked successfully.

5 Likes

I guess for some companies it’s also a matter of not wanting to spend any money to prevent a possible attack.

In the case of the pipeline, I wonder who’s really behind it. Did some lackey come up with the idea (to hurt Biden and prop up oil prices), convinced Trump (after explaining it 7 times), who then asked Putin to do it. Or did the oil companies (or Koch) ask Putin or paid for it themselves?

2 Likes

How much could Microsoft do about it if people are still using outdated systems (because their machinery or old software requires them or whatever), and if people continue to run malware and open phishing emails? I could be wrong, but I’d hazard a guess that all the systems in the company aren’t running the latest Win10, and all the people using them aren’t consistently using the best security practices.

3 Likes