#DammitKansas

We see a bug in the system. They see a feature. Terrorizing the populace makes us compliant, which they mistake for respect because they are so desperate for it.

10 Likes

How sensitive is the test for bear mace exposure?

3 Likes

I belonged to a group of young people in Wichita who ahem had a habit of smoking marijuana. Honestly, this was regular-grade stuff, but WPD was all over us like they were hunting Osama Bin-Laden, spying on us at our regular hangout with the ineptitude of Syd and Marty Kroft villains; hiding in trees, poking their heads over walls, and trying to get undercover officers to get chummy with us when they couldn’t stand out any less if they had a horn in the middle of their forehead.

Sure, there are some things I miss about Kansas, but I don’t think there’s anything short of the Kochs and the Phelps and the abortion protesters being suddenly swallowed up by the gaping maw of Hell itself that would make me think going back would be a grand idea.

ETA: They used to bemoan the “brain drain” when I was in high school, when Kansas’ brightest were leaving the state in large numbers. Something tells me this is still happening.

14 Likes

I’m afraid Kansas is lost.

6 Likes

OMG, this is so apt, 'cuz I’m veritably from the Hicks clan.

3 Likes

In that case, watch out for elevators.

2 Likes

Nothing to add yet, except that I have a stack of these as postcards…

And send one to my dear friend in Lawrence every time a news story out of Kansas makes us rend our garments and gnash our teeth.

10 Likes

Not going anywhere near them.

http://www.kansas.com/news/local/article1031560.html

2 Likes

I’m not from Kansas, but I’ve experienced a brain drain from living in Indiana. When the news media reports on brain drains, they make it sound like it’s a choice. Like we left our home states because we’d rather live in Brooklyn or Portland and be hipsters and creative types. It isn’t like that at all. I left Indiana because there was fuck all there except meth and poverty, and no jobs of any kind to speak of. The fact that I left Indiana for Ohio speaks volumes.

12 Likes

I know a young woman in Indiana who recently went from local politics (elected) to accepting a state position appointed by the governor. Her job is to figure out how to attract workers to the state, because they’ve finally admitted to themselves that the problem isn’t actually jobs – which they have more than enough of – it’s that they don’t have enough people who can pass a drug screening, show up on time every day, and follow basic instructions.

Guess dumbing down the public school system and not providing functional medical care for your citizens has some drawbacks…who would have thunk it? :anguished:

13 Likes

If you dig deep enough any hole becomes a tunnel, right?

A molten rock-filled tunnel where everyone dies because some dumbfucks are too idiotic to stop digging.

8 Likes

<pedant> Perhaps it’s just me, but I usually define a tunnel as having at a component that’s noticeably closer to perpendicular to the local direction of gravity than parallel, and must eventually exit the other side. Otherwise, it’s still seems more of a hole…</pedant>

<pedant+> Granted, that means that the definition gets weird if you dug through the exact center of the mass. But since (assuming a planet like the Earth) you’d have to already be into molten rock, and would have to dig through an infinitelyatomically small point for that to matter…</pedant+>

2 Likes

Ridiculous! Surely if you dig deep enough you’ll break through to Inner Earth?

7 Likes

A pedant walks into a bar.

Everyone groans and tries to not make eye contact.

11 Likes

Rinse and repeat for Iowa when I was at ISU. Much like @LearnedCoward’s Indiana “brain drain,” there just weren’t a lot of jobs in Iowa (mostly because there just aren’t a lot of people in Iowa).

9 Likes

I always wonder if some of the people who can’t pass the drug screening would actually be folks who could show up on time, follow basic instructions and do a good job, but they won’t get a chance.

Being sober at work is non-negotiable, in my mind, but getting high after work doesn’t necessarily make someone a bad worker. Just like getting drunk after work doesn’t necessarily make someone a bad worker.

I had a boss who wanted to fire some workers who were not doing a good job, and talked about drug screening everyone so he had an excuse. I didn’t have the guts to tell him he’d lose some of his best workers if he did that. It didn’t end up happening but I think it was because of the cost.

10 Likes

I know someone who seriously considered a way to make money selling clean urine samples. He got the idea after a classmate applied for a job at the local lumber mill, got as far as taking the test, then called a few days later to ask if he’d passed :thinking:

4 Likes

Yes. Good point.

They would probably lose a lot of good workers if they screened for drugs. I doubt they’d keep the bad ones though, they’d probably lose them too. Losses all around, and no benefits to drug screening whatsoever.

I would also point out that when I said people were on drugs, I didn’t mean they were recreational pot smokers who have experimented with hallucinogens. They’re into harder stuff, like meth and heroin and illicit pharmaceuticals (where it all starts), and it’s more self medicating than recreation regardless. Two completely different issues. If someone wants to do drugs recreationally, that’s fine with me. If they are self medicating, or addicted, we (as a society) should address the underlying issues, and address them humanely, instead of criminalizing the symptoms.

Also, when I left Indiana, there were reportedly one million adults in Indiana who were functionally illiterate. The total population of Indiana at the time was maybe five million. Take that for what it’s worth.

9 Likes

That’s flabbergasting. And so very sad.

8 Likes
7 Likes