#DammitKansas

10 Likes

Every time I see this thread titleā€¦

But really, what is the feeling on the ground in KS about this? I only lived in Lawrence, so Iā€™m skewed in the voices I hear.

7 Likes

<pedant>The word youā€™re looking for, for a vertical hole, is a shaft.</pedant>

@infundibulum: Iā€™m not even particularly familiar with that song, and thatā€™s what comes to my mind when I see the thread title, too. But then, my brain is pretty much constantly in song association mode, so perhaps Iā€™m not a good example.

6 Likes

I hear thatā€™s a bad mother ā€“ shut your mouth.

But we can dig it. :wink:

12 Likes

A well, actually.

12 Likes

*slow clap*

Well done.

8 Likes

I talk to my mom a lot about the state of politics, and she lives in Wichita. Another of my high school acquaintances is a Republican, but has been complaining a lot on facebook for the past couple of years about the decline of ethics in the party. Heā€™s probably more dialed in than most, because he teaches at a community college.

7 Likes

Might be the opposite of #DammitKansas, exceptā€¦

Republicans in the state legislature are pushing to restore some of the tax cuts, arguing that the Brownback plan failed not because it cut taxes but because it failed to keep spending in line.

11 Likes

of course they are. Their ā€œplanā€ failed, but they donā€™t want to admit it.

maybe the people of Kansas could vote the fools out this time?

10 Likes

https://www.kansascity.com/news/politics-government/article241861126.html

[Governor] Kelly denounced the legislatorsā€™ decision at a late afternoon press conference, calling it ā€œshockingly irresponsibleā€ and one likely to cost lives.

Opponents [to the order] were aided by Attorney General Derek Schmidt, who issued a memo calling the order likely unconstitutional and urging police not to enforce it. Violations of the order would have been a misdemeanor offense.
In the memo, Schmidt simultaneously implored Kansans to follow the order and also advised police not to arrest or cite violators. Kelly slammed the memo as unwarranted and nonsensical.

Asked if she was concerned more people will contract the virus and die, [Senate President Susan] Wagle responded that behaviors wonā€™t change much. She said most people are aware the virus is highly contagious and want to limit its spread, ā€œbut donā€™t tell us we canā€™t practice our religious freedoms.ā€

There are a lot of choice quotes in there.

3 Likes

Sounds as though our leaderdroidsā€™ strategy of giving the cultists everything they wantā€”to the point of throwing up their hands and putting them in chargeā€“isnā€™t a good tactic for governing.

1 Like

https://www.kansascity.com/opinion/editorials/article249303125.html

What an asshole.

I either missed or had forgotten that this man had become a state senator and was also a climate change denier. It takes a special kind of ignorance to be a (former) meteorologist and disagree with the vast majority of climate scientists.

Props to the KC Star for bothering to respond to this nonsense in a professional and clear manner.

7 Likes

In the first place, any ā€œscientistā€ who denies evolution should have all accreditations and degrees revoked.

7 Likes

OLATHE, Kan. (AP) ā€“ A suburban Kansas City school district is investigating after a student asked a girl to homecoming using an offensive sign.

The sign reads: ā€œIf I was Black I would be picking cotton but Iā€™m white so Iā€™m picking you for HOCO.ā€

A picture of two white students holding the sign and smiling drew sharp criticism on social media this weekend.

Iā€™m not sure whoā€™s worse in this situation, the individual who made the sign, or the individual who thought it was an effective means of courtship.

8 Likes

No conflict of interest thereā€¦

5 Likes

Good news from Kansas.

12 Likes

My home town was briefly featured in this episode:

Good on those kids for standing up and making themselves heard. Itā€™s a real bummer that they needed to, thoughā€¦

7 Likes

Disclosure: My Brother-in-law is quoted in this article.

4 Likes

Geez, whereā€™s a cyclone to suck people like that up into the air when you need it?

3 Likes

ā€œI had absolutely no ideas that would have done any good, and most of what Iā€™d recommend would make things worse, but your attempts to improve things were completely inadequate and ineffective!ā€

5 Likes