Density is destiny

This is one reason that as much as I love dogs I don’t have one just behind having to walkies in shitty weather.

3 Likes

Noise is pain and pain can hurt.

Noise pollution is also thought to contribute to health problems.

So yes, I do think apartments should be designed to reduce noise, to reduce exposure to strobe lights, etc. We’ve gone too far telling people to accept noise.

2 Likes

Noise is like cigarette smoke — it wafts over to people who may not be interested in sharing the experience.

7 Likes

That’s even better if a park is nearby. Separate ducting systems is a must I think.

4 Likes

But if I have no lawn, what do I tell the kids to get off of?

7 Likes

I think if it were 100% up to me, I just wouldn’t keep any sort of pet anymore. (Okay, maybe a very chill cat.)

But we currently have 3 dogs (one hopefully temporary), a cat (who has no chill), two aquariums in the house, and her shrimp aquariums in the basement.

6 Likes

I will always have a want for a fuzzy little murderbeast in my abode.

7 Likes

Noise is “any unwanted sound”. The issue is who wants it and who else may be getting it.

4 Likes

-* Takes copious holiday-planning notes. *

8 Likes

you could put a rug out that looks like a lawn. then tell the kids to get off of that.

3 Likes

I think part of the problem is that noise pollution isn’t taken seriously, or concerns about noise pollution get derailed by wars over nimbyism and gentrification, and the people most sensitive to noise pollution can’t call local officials to complain about it.

And part of the problem is that rich people can buy quiet.

And part of the problem is engineering.

4 Likes

My apartment isn’t cheap, but I still have to deal with the Small Penis Bicycle Club driving their little crotch rockets by at all hours of the day and night.

Location location location I guess.

4 Likes

that’s why I installed some of these outside. they seem to work well at keeping the noisy people away

7 Likes

Ugh. And then we have this. Which I didn’t know about because it’s on the other side of Detroit (really, the East-West divide there seems as vast sometimes as the US continent before railroads!). I do know about the side streets walled off at western Grosse Pointe Park/Detroit border, but those may’ve come down.

6 Likes

The Berlin wall lasted 28 years. And this wall is still there after 79 years.

Gee are we grand.

5 Likes

Link flashes as I scroll, then has a pop-up telling me to disable one of my accessibility tools.

5 Likes
4 Likes