Did Somebody Say "Star Trek"?

Actually, I have yet to ever see 5. I might watch it sometime on a lark.

Fun trivia fact: 16-year old Popobawa had lunch with Jeffrey Combs and Doug Bradley in Boston while they were in town for a convention. Promoting Bride of Re-Animator and Nightbreed, respectively. Combs was very easygoing and personable, Bradley was in kind of a fussy mood.

7 Likes

So given I just fished some payment cards out of the pocket of a just-washed pair of jeans (sigh), it got me thinking ā€“ plots that never happened on ST but should have.

Example: Quark gives Rom some small but precious item for quick safekeeping (Odo or some rough type is about to insist on searching him). Rom forgets all about it and throws his clothes in the reclamator without emptying his pockets. Quark finds out and desperately tries to convince Oā€™Brien to find a way to rematerialize the thing ā€“ without explaining what said thing is. Overall moral theme a meditation on value/poverty/abundance.

15 Likes

Best episode was The Eighth Passenger.
Best captain was Adama, if I havenā€™t mixed up the name.
Best adorable aliens were Abbott & Costello.
Best commentary on our times before they were actually our times was Hell is Other Robots.
Best guest star was Frank Gorshin in Death in Slow Motion.
Best Uhura was Zoe Saldana.

6 Likes

Worst plot point and/or worst line of dialogue:
ā€œThe ball is blu-ee?ā€

tng-wil-wheaton-whatever-dude

9 Likes

tos-face-palm-uhuru

17 Likes

Ah, but the best face-palm was Picard.

22 Likes

Not the top quark?

14 Likes

Best line goes to morn.

10 Likes

Charm Quark, duh.

7 Likes

Janeway being court-martialed after arriving back in the Alpha Quadrant with a Borg-infested ship?

8 Likes

*nerd glasses *

Actually she came back with Borg destroying technology from 24 years in the future, suddenly catapulting The Federation into the position of the galactic super power.

TBH I always thought that a 40 years later show about the corruption of the Federation and the heroes attempting (perhaps delusionally) to bring it back to the shining becon it once was would be a perfect show to reflect our sick and dying times.

11 Likes

This is all true.

6 Likes

That would have been Andromeda, no?

7 Likes
2 Likes

Iā€™m going to finish watching the animated series before I answer!

Just watched ā€œMuddā€™s Passionā€

10 Likes

Wrath of Khan deservedly gets a lot of praise, but if I had to put my money on the best movie of the franchise, itā€™d be this.

To me this movie speaks about aging and dealing with your personal history far better than WoK.

12 Likes

ooh:

a chance to post this!

https://www.tor.com/2017/06/20/star-trek-the-original-series-rewatch-star-trek-vi-the-undiscovered-country/

ā€¦To boldly go. ā€œCry havoc! And let slip the dogs of war!ā€ This movie utterly destroys the characters of Kirk and Spock for plot expediency, and while itā€™s the most revolting crime committed by this misbegotten disaster of a movie, itā€™s far from the only oneā€¦

Read it. It will make you think. It will even make you think ā€œNo! I donā€™t want to think this. You canā€™t make me!ā€

3 Likes

I shall read. Didnā€™t dig this one. Also, really wish the Star Trek writers would make a slight effort to understand Shakespeare before they start quoting him:

Itā€™s not about that. Itā€™s about giving a giant wink to all the nerds who know Shaz used to play at the Stratford Festival before he got established in TV.