Discourse 2.2 released!

My original issue about getyarn.io weirdly got an update recently:

I’m not sure what prompted re-opening the thread after ~2 years, but it seems to confirm that the videos are autoplaying, with different behavior in Firefox and Chrome.

I’m not sure there’s anything we can do on our end.

6 Likes

Put getyarn in one of my blockers perhaps?

5 Likes

(Annoying autoplaying video removed…)

3 Likes

Didn’t auto play on iPad Safari.

3 Likes

Autoplayed REALLY LOUD in Firefox as soon as I clicked on the thread. Count me as one who finds this very annoying. Maybe we can agree on this site to avoid using getyarn. I’ve yet to see one of these soundbites add anything to a conversation, especially since they play immediately with no context at all.

4 Likes

Same here, so I went into Privacy Badger and saw that for some stupid reason (probably to play something once, and then forgot to turn it off again) I had enabled getyarn. FIXED.

5 Likes

Thank you for the idea! It was still autoplaying in Firefox, so I blocked getyarn in Privacy Badger, and now it doesn’t even load. Big white space.

4 Likes

Thank you! I added it to my filter list in uBlock Origin and it went away. Interestingly, about eight other sites disappeared from the list of requests blocked, including facebook(dot)net and google-analytics(dot)com.

Playing around, I removed it from my filters in uBlock and and marked it as Untrusted in NoScript. That got rid of it too, and reduced the uBlock list of domains connected on the page to Elsewhere and getyarn. It leaves a much bigger white space in @LockeCJ’s comment above though, so I’ve now blocked getyarn in both extensions.

I’ve no idea what all this means.

6 Likes

It looks like getyarn adds a iframe to the page, which could add Facebook and Google analytics. I’m not aware of any third-party analytics running by default here. Does that track with what others are seeing?

5 Likes

I’ve noticed, on safari, sometimes the played videos from youtube autoplay again if I scroll back through the thread.

2 Likes

Many years ago I was on a project that had a definite, non-negotiable, due date. It wasn’t a death-march, per se, but we had to, in no uncertain terms, deliver something (preferably X, but if not X, then something) by such-and-such a date. It was kind of a big deal in our organization.

So I built a little countdown timer, implemented as a Windows Vista desktop Gadget, that displayed the days, hours, and minutes remaining until the project deadline. It had a couple buttons on it that would play inspirational soundbites when you clicked them. I don’t recall exactly what the labels were, but if you clicked the “feeling positive” button it would play the clip you linked, above. And if you clicked the “feeling not so positive” button it would play this clip:

My coworkers thought it was hilarious. My manager, not so much.

9 Likes

That happens to me in Firefox, too. Reloading the page stops it.

2 Likes

Okay, I’ve made my decision: I don’t like this. Is there a way I can turn it off?

It wouldn’t be so bad, if it didn’t keep getting updated. Okay, thanks, I’ve been notified that this person has liked five of my posts. I don’t need to know about #6, #7, #8, and so on. And it includes notifications about posts that have been liked within the last 24 hours, which, there’s a reason why we’re usually only notified about those once.

If it just took effect between when I’d logged off and logged back on, and combined all of the single likes of someone catching up on a day’s (or longer) worth of posting, then yes, this would be a very useful feature. As it is, it’s just annoying.

5 Likes

There doesn’t seem to be a way to disable it at this time. My apologies.

3 Likes

Not your fault, but thank you. And thank you for checking.

3 Likes

I love it

2 Likes

Agreed

2 Likes

Because all extensions in Firefox including uBlock have been disabled, that stupid getyarn thingie is autoplaying again. :rage:

6 Likes

Just noticed that too!

4 Likes

Thank goodness for the fix.

4 Likes