Drawing and Painting Software?

An open-source format so I can edit it, and a pdf so I can minimize problems for other people printing it.

1 Like

This sounds more like the kind of workflow I would have used Adobe Pagemaker for, a long time back. Havenā€™t really found anything quite as flexible as that one since then.

If I were using gimp Iā€™d likely approximate this kind of workflow by separating the different elements in their own layers, and using the ā€œlayer groupā€ functionality to group/move/duplicate them as needed. Exporting to PDF would be a little more tricky than in a page layout program, however, since youā€™d have to take into account the print size of the image - you can base the canvas on the size of a page, but I donā€™t think thereā€™s easy pre-sets for that kind of thing.

2 Likes

Near as I can find, ā€œlayer groupā€ is to group layers, not a set of objects on each layer. So if each piece gets two layers-- one on the counter front and one on the counter back-- thatā€™s 704 different layers.

Correct, itā€™s basically using layers for the concept of an "objectā€™. Iā€™d put each element that needed to be separate into its own layer, and group those layers together as though each separate layer is an ā€œobjectā€. Since you have a grid of cards, I would probably create a single layer with the full grid and the coloring of each cell, and then overlay grouped layers on top of each cell for text, graphics, etc.

Iā€™m not exactly advocating for the method. Mainly just ā€œthinking out loudā€ for a possible alternative way of looking at the problem.

2 Likes

I often need to rearrange them. For example, I have to reverse the arrangement of the front side for the back side. If I canā€™t select a counter as a group, and move it independently of the others, thatā€™s a problem. I may also want to copy a counter for a play aid.

I use Inkscape all the time for authoring vector graphics (Iā€™m not an artist, this is purely for creating images that I can laser cut).

I wouldnā€™t say itā€™s ā€œgoodā€ ā€“ in fact, I find it to be quite infuriating to use. It has a poorly designed UI, many quirks, and a very steep learning curve. But, it gets the job done.

Itā€™s not a flashy UI (in the literal or figurative sense) so if you have photosensitivity issues it should work well. Itā€™s very basic with its presentation.

The closest commercial analog to Inkscape is Adobe Illustrator. Itā€™s meant for drawing, not painting. It should support all the usual stuff (import just about any file format you can think of, layers, grouping, drawing tools, fonts, paths, etc.).

4 Likes

Iā€™ve encountered far too much flashing in Inkscape. There may be a way to disable the flashing, but Iā€™ve not found it, and Iā€™ve not been able to register for their forum; I know not what went wrong there.

What kind of flashing are you seeing? Iā€™m very familiar with accessibility requirements in software development, but Iā€™m also not photosensitive so what youā€™re experiencing may be completely lost on me.

I was using Inkscape just today to author some shapes and I didnā€™t notice any flashing. Iā€™m not sure what OS youā€™re using (Iā€™m using it on Windows).

2 Likes

First, I tried to find appropriate preferences to avoid flashing and animation. Maybe ā€œshow selection cueā€ controls that for some things, but not all.

Second, I set up a page and gridded it in lines.

Third, I tried to save the page, by name, using ā€œsave as,ā€ andā€¦ there may have been a dialogue box but I couldnā€™t see because there was way too much flashing.

What OS are you using? (Sorry if you mentioned it before and I missed it.)

MacOS Sierra.

Good to know. I can only speak for my experience on Windows, and I didnā€™t see anything at all in the way of animations or flashing.

One suggestion I can think of would be to go into Preferences :arrow_right: Interface :arrow_right: Windows and change ā€œDesktop integrationā€ from ā€œNativeā€ to ā€œGTKā€ and see if this makes any difference.

Hmmmā€¦ I donā€™t have any ā€œDesktop Integrationā€ options there.

Still just brainstorming, butā€¦ in that hypothetical setup, youā€™d be able to rearrange the items on top of the counters or copy them easily. Then, if you had to swap counters that had different backgrounds, that would just be a matter (assuming the backgrounds were just flat colors) of an extra step of hitting the background layer with a flood-fill to change it.

Copying a counter might be a little more fiddly, but if you didnā€™t need to change it afterwards then you could just flatten the layers, select the area, copy, and then undo the flatten.

In any case, it still sounds like youā€™d prefer something that bases on vector graphics and an object model.

1 Like

I know this isnā€™t the only solution. I can see the following, from most limited to most extensive:

• Hacking existing drawing software to fix the bug. Iā€™ve checked LibreOffice and OpenOffice extensions, and canā€™t find a fix there.

• Hacking the operating system. Iā€™ve used the NSText tricks. There are actually 3 settings, for zero-grade, On, and Off: http://osxnotes.net/defaults.html

• Finding a countersheet generator, where Iā€™d input a text file and output automatically-generated counters. This is written for Traveller, and assumes larger counters with a different layout and symbolism, but gives an idea: http://zho.berka.com/rules/war/unit_counter.html

• Finding a new drawing program, one which would let me disable blinking.

• Configuring Wineskin to disable blinking and running Windows LOO or Windows OO to run in it. I have not been successful.

• Configuring WINE in the same manner.

• Configuring Linux Mint on a thumb drive. This looks like the best bet. Maybe I could configure MacOS Yosemite, too, on another thumb drive, for when I need older versions of Quartz.

1 Like

Point of order: if it is coded, expected behaviour, it is not a bug.

I understand it is detrimental to you personally. As a counter-example:

My eyes donā€™t like tracking things on a screen. In a car, walking down the street, I notice movement as much or slightly more than the next person, but I often have to deliberately wave the mouse around on a screen to find the pointer. I just donā€™t see it. When itā€™s life-or-death (ie: in traffic) I do, but otherwise that just shuts off, mostly to save myself eyestrain.

I need those blinking cursors and marching marquees to figure out what the hell is going on with my file. Iā€™m the sort of user who fusses around endlessly with things like default fonts and customizable shortcut keys (and as you might expect from what I said above, I use shortcut keys a lot).

We could never use the same computer, thatā€™s for sure. However, that does not make the features I need ā€œwrongā€ or ā€œbugsā€ any more than the features you need are ā€œwrongā€. It would be ableist for either of us to say so.

The root requirement is flexibility.

7 Likes

Huh. I just learned something.

In Ubuntu, if you go to Settings and choose Keyboard, you can turn all cursor blinking off, for all applications:

I tried unchecking it, and yeah! no more blinking. I opened the LibreOffice word processor. No blinking there either.

TIL.

5 Likes

Does it also turn off the marching migraine ants?

(I would argue that the lack of flexibility in loo core is a bug.)

1 Like

As the only non-migraine sufferer in a family of migraine sufferers, I wouldnā€™t know. My family members all get migraines from lack of sleep and/or stress, plus some food items that are different for each individual.

I get killer eyestrain headaches from fluorescent lights (which I have studied and worked under from the age of 5 until the present day, age 47), reading in too-bright light, and looking at a monitor with a too-low refresh rate.

The eyestrain headaches include making text look ā€œstreakyā€, muscle pain, and loads of other fun stuff. The best way to stop them is to take off my glasses or pop out my contacts, and stare out a window at nothing in particular. My eyesight is bad enough without lenses that ā€œnothing in particularā€ is the only option anyhow.

How I deal with it at work: if itā€™s a nice day and Iā€™m meeting people in a boardroom with windows, I ask if we can keep the lights off and enjoy the natural lighting. If Iā€™m at my desk, I stare out the window when Iā€™m thinking over a problem.

Iā€™m bringing this up because Iā€™ve worked with both deaf and learning-disabled kids (and some who were both). Each one of them needed to work out what mix of available resources worked for them. Not their parents, not the technicians, not the teachers ā€“ them. Perceptual/sensing issues are nearly impossible to work out for other people.

Which is why, in the two decades Iā€™ve been on the internet, this is probably only the second or third time Iā€™ve even mentioned this.

And now, because Iā€™ve been looking at this screen all day, Iā€™m going to log out. Goodnight.

7 Likes

Goodnight. Iā€™ve found that sunglasses can really help with flourescent lights. I use Polare sunglasses. I hope something like that can help you.

3 Likes