Drawing and Painting Software?

What are your preferences? What are your needs?

I have tried LibreOffice, NeoOffice, and Graphic, but with my photosensitivity, I need something less flashy.

I am a tabletop game designer, and need good drawing software, for counter design.

I need to be able to align objects. I need to be able to easily add and align text. I need to be able to assign distinct colors to each of 20 factions.

I also need to be able to do this without severe migraines. Unfortunately, flashing triggers my migraines. In LibreOffice and OpenOffice, both text cursors and object selections flash. In NeoOffice, I can use a hack to keep text cursors from flashing, but I canā€™t keep object selections from flashing. In Graphic, object selections donā€˜t flash, but I canā€™t keep text cursors from flashing. So with my photosensitivity getting more severe, I canā€™t use these apps.

I also need to be able to do this despite coordination problems. Fortunately, most apps contain alignment tools which help.

I want to be able to ensure that the color combinations wonā€™t be problems for colorblind players either. Unfortunately, I need to use some red pieces and some green pieces.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

3 Likes

I use GIMP and (briefly) Paint.NET. GIMP suffers from load times and has a loadbar animation. Iā€™ll have to give Paint.NET a spin again before I can confirm itā€™s photosensitive-safe

4 Likes

I went and offered cookies to the Google. I got this as a response.

Drawing, Painting, ART!!!

2 Likes

It might be easier to control the cursor behaviour from your operating system. There should be a setting or plug-in to make it behave consistently across the board. I know Windows has this; Iā€™m not sure about other operating systems.

1 Like

Thanks.

Is there readable documentation for Gimp? I can only find this: https://docs.gimp.org/2.8/en/

1 Like

Iā€™m using a Mac, after a lot of hardware and driver issues using Windows machines with Linux.

There should be. Perhaps surprisingly, there is not. I canā€™t install wider scrollbars. Apart from the Dock, I canā€™t move menus to the sides of the screen. I can only disable blinking cursors in NSText-- and apparently NeoOffice text cursors are NSText so writer is usable while other blinking objects are not so the other tools are largely unusable-- LibreOffice blinking cursors arenā€™t NSText, making LibreOffice writer unusable too.

1 Like

Inkscape is supposed to be good, but I canā€™t find adequate documentation: http://tavmjong.free.fr/INKSCAPE/MANUAL/html/Customize-Preferences.html

Iā€™m supposed to install it to find out whatā€™s in the preferences and whether I can use it???

1 Like

Could you expand on what isnā€™t readable about those docs? They look rather complete, while having very plain-language section headings covering specific potential needs.

There are also tutorials available through the main documentation page, as well as links to books, man pages, etc: https://www.gimp.org/docs/

1 Like

Itā€™s a web page. Itā€™s a web page with orange text on a black background. I have a lot of fixes to make them more readable, but theyā€™re all kinda unreadable, even this one. Even pdfs are more readable.

And the secnd link just leads back to the same web page. I canā€™t find a downloadable version.

Hereā€™s a PDF version someone put together.

http://gimp.linux.it/www/meta/gimp-en.pdf

2 Likes

Thank you! Iā€™ll look at it later today.

Gimp is intended for image manipulation. I canā€™t find much about whether it supports graphic design, but it would be a secondary function, or whether it supports my accessibility needs. The preferences allow users to change the speed of MARCHING MIGRAINE ANTS, but thatā€™s no guarantee they allow users to kill the accursed MARCHING MIGRAINE ANTS, and itā€™s a bad sign that the application includes MARCHING MIGRAINE ANTS.

Conversely Inkscape is intended for graphic design. I canā€™t find much about whether it supports my accessibility needs.

http://www.inkscapeforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=4179

Canva?

1 Like

Can confirm that ā€œmarching antsā€ canā€™t be completely killed (at least not through the preferences, Iā€™m not sure if a gimprc edit would have more flexibility). The speed control is in milliseconds, and the maximum is 10000, which causes them to only move by one pixel every 10 seconds.

On graphic design, Gimpā€™s a full-featured paint program, similar in toolset to Photoshop. But if you have needs that canā€™t be done in a paint program like Photoshop, thenā€¦

3 Likes

I donā€™t use Photoshiop, I donā€™t know what it can do. But I know that itā€™s intended for image editing, and that isnā€™t what I need to do.

I installed Inkscape. I actually got it working this time! If I can debug Inkscape, then Iā€™ll see if it can do what I need to do.

Paint
Google sketch up.

1 Like

Hope Inkscape works out for you.

Perhaps Iā€™m misunderstanding you, but these kinds of programs are made for image creation, color management, digital painting, etc. Image editing is just the thing most of the masses use them for. For example, hereā€™s a tutorial showing techniques for creating icon images in gimp.

2 Likes

I thought I was clear that I personally need drawing software, not painting software. I figured if other people want to ask about painting software, I should leave the door open for that. But Iā€™m getting a lot of answers about painting software, none about drawing software.

I created these game pieces using LibreOffice and NeoOffice. I need to be able to create other readable game pieces.

Tatchanka Counters 11-19

Tatchanka Counters 11-19 2

1st 2 of 4 pages, exported from odg.

P.S. Iā€™m waiting for approval from the Inkscape forum. Then Iā€™ll be able to ask my debugging questions there.

1 Like

It might help if you try to provide some specific differences you see between ā€œdrawingā€ and ā€œpaintingā€ software. I use gimp frequently with my tablet, with its pen tool, to ā€œdrawā€. I can also use the spraypaint or other tools to ā€œpaintā€. In the definitions I commonly use, there isnā€™t much difference between the two.

Based on your mentions of libreofficeā€¦ are you specifically talking about diagramming, presentation, or layout software? Because thatā€™s a completely different kind of beast.

Iā€™m pretty sure the game pieces youā€™ve shown here could easily be created using any of the software thatā€™s been suggested so far. If I were making these in gimp, for instance, I would mostly just use the square selection, flood-fill, and text tools for most of them. The small handful of more complex shapes look like they could also still be done with either multiple applications of the square select, or possibly using the free select tool for the triangles. Alignment would be done using the draggable guidelines that you can place at precise positioning on the rulers at the top and left of the image.

However, it sounds like youā€™re more wanting something that follows a specific workflow that youā€™re familiar with, rather than just general software that can do this.

[edit] If youā€™re just wanting something more akin to diagramming/presentation software, thereā€™s also google docs slides available, which doesnā€™t appear to flash selections, though the text cursor will blink in it if you have a text object in edit mode.

4 Likes

Okay.

I create one counter. First, I create one box with the background color. I may add symbols. I will add text, sizing the text boxes to fit the background color, often giving the text boxes their own color, and aligning everything background box. I create one group for that counter, so all the parts stay together and stay aligned.

I copy that counter, as needed. I may switch in different symbols. I may switch the colors. I will probably need to change the text.

If I have to create everything from scratch, thatā€™s a problem.

So I need to be able to work with separate objects, arrange them, group them, and arrange groups. I need to be able to snap objects to grid lines, and I need to be able to match colors to specific pallette options.

The way I learned it, drawing software usually used vector graphics, and separate objects, with tools for precise alignment and the like; painting software usually used raster graphics, and treated the whole project as one object, with tools for spraying stipples and the like.

I can usually deal with the occasional blinking text cursor, but not hundreds of blinking text cursors in the course of each project, and not the blinking text cursors in Inkscape.

3 Likes

What kind of output do you need? (File format)

2 Likes