Earworms - I just can't get you out of my head!

3 Likes

I donā€™t see the connection between the two, but I want to.

2 Likes

I think Jimmy Somerville set up house inside my head.

3 Likes

hey, remember this thread? iā€™ve had Trent Reznor and Atticus Rossā€™s ā€œLife on Marsā€ in my head all week. Anyone with me?

1 Like
3 Likes

I prefer this version.

3 Likes

But thatā€™s a rip-off by a failing Christian rock band.

Does anyone know the story with the bass line in the chorus? To me it sounds a lot like Super Freak and U Canā€™t Touch This. The last is obviously a derivative, but the other two both came out in 1981. Is one inspired by the other, or are they both inspired by the same thing, or are they coincidental inventions? I couldnā€™t find anything useful.

Rip off is a little harsh. I imagine the original songwriters got their cut of the royalties.

I used to like the After the Fire version when I thought it was the original.

Do you know any of After the Fireā€™s other work?

To be honest, at one point I started looking into them. But then I found this song was a duplication of Falcoā€™s version and that they started out as a christian rock group. And after that I didnā€™t feel inspired to look any further.

Iā€™ve never heard anything else, either. I note that TrouserPress says good things about them and doesnā€™t mention the Christian rock thing. Perhaps they were Christian rock a la U2 or Genesis, rather than a band whose work contains nothing of note other than Christian proselytizing.

1 Like

Someone I know has an issue with ā€œYouā€™ll Be Backā€ from Hamilton becoming an earworm, to the point that just hearing a little bit of it will drive them to go listen to the whole song through.

So, while feeling a little snarky I sang a mash-up between that song and ā€œMahna-Mahnaā€ in their presence. Tough to put to text, but along the lines of: ā€œYaa da-dah dah daaaah dat dah dat dodo do doot. doot dooo do-do dootā€. And then riffed on things a little from there, kinda getting close to a decent mash-up of the two songsā€¦

ā€¦yeah, I know, Iā€™m a monster. :smiling_imp:

3 Likes

Ever since the VP Anouncementā€¦

Is it true she canā€™t sing but keeps the beat and keeps it strong?

2 Likes
1 Like
1 Like
2 Likes

Musically, theyā€™re not badā€¦but as pre-teens, their voices are changing. Iā€™ve sung along with it (in tune, lol), and itā€™s really a fun song to sing.

SNLā€¦was funny in spots, and certainly had its day, but there was so much unrelatable stuff, especially after the first five seasons. SCTV is more accessible to me. And I think itā€™s in part that it was done in Canada, not NYC. Ironic that Lorne Michaels was Canadian though, eh?

3 Likes