Elon Musk offers to “buy 100% of Twitter” for $43 billion

Thanks to the comments on this article, I shall henceforth refer to Musk as Space Karen.

7 Likes
6 Likes

Hands off Twitter, Elon. focus on your other shit.

2 Likes

Can’t he just retire and go away?

3 Likes
2 Likes
4 Likes

Wow, he sounds so presidential… so Trump-like.

3 Likes

Headline - twitter is going to sell it to Musk.

3 Likes

fuck that shit. I’m leaving twitter (as a user) and going off to the fediverse. I plunked down on mastodon.social, but a friendica instance isn’t a bad place to land, if you’re looking to ditch bird hellsite

3 Likes

gotta hope they don’t give trump his account back, but suppose its inevitable now, and probably right before the elections.

4 Likes

i’m thinking i’m leaving twitter, too, but i am not sure where to go. i need a non-facebook-owned alternative…

5 Likes

As @tinoesroho alluded to, Mastodon is probably the most mature open, federated, twitter-like out there. One of the best parts about it is that nobody owns it, which means that Space Karen can’t buy it.

I’ve almost signed up a few times, but never really had a good reason since I haven’t had a Twitter account for a while and haven’t been looking for a replacement. These developments have me thinking about it again. I should probably at least create an account for communicating outages like I have the extremely underutilized @elsewherecafe.

Also, since Mastodon is Free and open source, it’s possible to run your own instance. I wonder how difficult that would be…

2 Likes

Relatively easy.

2 Likes

yeah, i keep hearing about Mastodon. a friend i have who has had an account for awhile says that it’s being crushed today with a new influx of people, so maybe that’s the way to go. i think i’ll hang on for a little while on Twitter and see what happens.

4 Likes

If I do try mastodon, I’ll have to land at a server (node?) with policies similar to elsewhere. Twitter with a lock on dms and lurkers is tolerable but I anticipate a showy shitshow wherever Musk is involved.

4 Likes

Any of the instances listed in https://joinmastodon.org/ are pretty well-moderated. Only saw ONE dick in hours of surfing the /federated (all servers) real time feed

2 Likes

i’ve also heard that CounterSocial is worthwhile.

2 Likes
1 Like

This seems like wishful thinking.

5 Likes

Musk either is absolutely clueless on both the law and on basic moderation needed to keep a platform like Twitter running, or he’s purposefully pretending to be clueless. Either way, this doesn’t bode well.

5 Likes