Eye Candy; Male Objectification

In my opinion, at least, there’s a distinct difference between leering/ogling vs. respectful appreciation. And no, I don’t believe this thread has crossed the line into disrespectful territory.

Male or female, the human body is an amazing thing, and it can be beautiful in many different ways. What appeals to one person might not appeal to another. Examining what we find attractive and why can be grounds for excellent conversation. And exploring how that attraction/objectification is used, in media and in society, is (IMHO) necessary to understand and define our own roles and interactions in that society.

(Admittedly, we get a little off-track sometimes in posting pics of handsome men. But all threads wander occasionally, and we always seem to get back on topic sooner or later.)

14 Likes

While I can see the appeal, I still think that guy looks creepy as all get-out. I never noticed the Peaky Blinders guy was the same as the Batman villain guy, so that’s interesting, I guess.
Hmmm… maybe I just associate him with the roles I’ve seen him in and that’s why he’s creepy.

2 Likes

Joe Manganiello

6 Likes

Stephen Mangan

5 Likes

Somewhat tangential, but if I ever refer to someone as “sweetheart” or any varient, I would suggest running, because something is about to explode and get very, very messy. And you do not want to be in the splash zone.

8 Likes

OMFG Tom Baker is fucking adorable in his golden years.

13 Likes

“all the Doctor Whos”?

5 Likes

Hopefully you still ogle each other like two teenagers with overactive hormones.

:wink:

Perhaps because no matter how superficial some of the comments may be in general, we ladies (and others) still see the males in question as actual human beings with agency. Our appreciation/“lust” doesn’t automatically negate their own self-sovereignty.

Context matters, as does intent.

Y’all know I’m never mad at more Joe; no matter what he is (or isn’t) wearing.

Aside from being one fine ass man, he’s a nerd and a goofball, which only makes him even more attractive, IMO; inside and out.

And since someone brought up Doctor Who:

15 Likes

Charles Farrell. Frank Borzage used him in some late 1920s silents, paired with Janet Gaynor.

15 Likes

Is it weird that he’s literally the only Doctor I know?

3 Likes

Since he was in the role for the longest and is pretty much the first thing that people think of outside of the TARDIS when you yell “Doctor Who!” at them, I’d say you’re normal.

Also, don’t go around yelling “Doctor Who” at people. I found out that it makes them uncomfortable.

5 Likes

One of my classmates in grad school was a Chinese man named He (pronounced Who, because Chinese is weird). Assuming that he graduated, he is now Doctor Who.

10 Likes

Hi everyone. I am seeing the flags. I have a big deadline at work today and need to focus on that for right now. I want to give this the proper attention it deserves. I am closing for until I can review and give some guidance.

14 Likes

Thread reopened!

15 Likes

YAY!

6 Likes

For all the Fannibals, Bryan Fuller has just quit American Gods, and is teasing about bringing Hannibal back!
I miss these two so much!

9 Likes

I really want some more Hannibal.

4 Likes

I love the fact that they’re both chewing.

4 Likes