Feathers Ruffled by Anti-Adblock 'assling at Gizmodo sites

Yes they are. I always wonder why in the hell I turned off my filter for them.

1 Like

I actually meant to just refer to this specific whitelist request on the gawker/gizmodo sites, not whitelist demands in general. Edited my post to (hopefully) be more clear. From what Iā€™ve seen, this particular one doesnā€™t seem to be very intrusive so far, though that could always change.

On my main system, I generally allow everything in noscript and then just specifically mark sites to block scripts on, which keeps things mostly hassle-free (occasionally YouTube videos will cause an XSS alert, but I donā€™t run into that often).

Then, on another system where Iā€™m occasionally forced to load dubious or known threat sites, I keep it set the other way around and whitelist whatā€™s known to be good. Itā€™s not a foolproof method to block crap and does occasionally cause issues, but as part of a layered defense itā€™s definitely useful.

1 Like

Me too! And for Korean websites, which are traditionally pop-up, auto-play hellscapes. Even government sites.

1 Like

Yeah. Kinjaā€™s acting weird and inconsistent as of late. 'tis a shame. If there were an option to subscribe, like itā€™s spinoff site has_ that would be really nice. Oh well. For now my little scraper system works (Calibre) and doesnā€™t have ads.

1 Like

Am I the only one who read that message as ā€œTurning off your adblocker allows us to eat people ā€¦ā€?

Personally I find that thereā€™s a ratio of the value of the content vs. difficulty to get to it, and when sites start doing things like that, it usually pushes the ratio out far enough that I just skip it.

4 Likes