Found Randomly on the 'Net

11 Likes

27 Likes

@ Anyone who crochets:

25 Likes

Not on the internet on holiday. But still fits the found randomly part.

5 Likes

Nice, but why does Discourse always rotate mobile phone uploads? That part irritates me.

5 Likes

Me too.

3 Likes

?

Crapple problem, perhaps?

4 Likes

Nope, I use android and it still happens

3 Likes

How about checking the phone settings? Save rotation to EXIF, maybe?

2 Likes

This is the sort of picture you can only draw when you’ve been working on the best comic ever made for four decades.

15 Likes

I’ve tried to get into Love and Rockets, but each time, ways in which women are drawn generally struck me as sexist – the usual panting, het-male gaze – and given the massive amount of material, just where to start. (I suppose with #1?)

I admit, though, that since I’ve never spent much time with it, I don’t know if the charge of sexism is fair or not.

3 Likes

I think the answer is probably both “yes” and “no”. It’s been running since 1982 and across several demographic and cultural shifts. Not to mention the changing world perspectives of the artists as they grow older. There’s a lot in there that someone could easily use as ammo for whatever side they choose to take on that particular discussion about the comic.

(I suppose with #1?)

I started reading back in the Ape Sex era, which Google tells me has been collected in The Girl From H.O.P.P.E.R.S. book. But Fantagraphics has repackaged the comic so many times now I’m not really sure.

7 Likes

(Barbara Kruger)

26 Likes

That’s a brilliant summation of toxic nationalism/tribalism.

20 Likes

And of how much of the rest of the world basically sees the U.S.

Nice to see that Kruger’s still got it.

13 Likes

Yep.

Also a good assessment of the subconscious exclusionary message that is perpetually sent to every person of color living in the US…

12 Likes

Absolutely!

4 Likes

This is where you end up when you start with die hard 2 then go when did the hair go?

6 Likes

Old age.

3 Likes
6 Likes