Fuck Today, Reboot Edition

Don’t know. A friend of ours (who was born there) is stuck there currently cause the government is pissed that she took her own autistic daughter out of the country to the US.

borders…I could live without them…

10 Likes

This turned out well. I didn’t have to make an appointment, but did have to wait two hours in line (they had benches). The SS rep was able to get me an account in no time.

8 Likes

200-300 bucks per day? Week? Month?

4 Likes

I’m currently paying $220/month in a privada (a small, gated private apartment community) here in TJ.

Ours are arranged like the narrow row houses you see in BBC dramas. No central AC or heat, which is standard. Some people install AC splits, or use box window units, but most people just wear warm clothing in winter and use fans in open windows and doors in summer.

Once you get out to the Playas (beach), that’s where you get into the new construction aimed squarely at tourist pocketbooks, and Mexicans who want to live like it’s Laguna Beach. We’re talking anywhere from $750 to $1500 a month. A lot of it is much like the US, though. Overpriced facade.

I’m currently searching for something in the range of $110/month though, and I’d like to just renovate it myself and stay there for years.

14 Likes

I have one of those civil war buffs, who loves to pontificate long winded diatribes about history in one of my classes…

20 Likes

Oh cripes. Sorry to hear.

9 Likes

Start a “Well, actually” tally on a conspicuous place on the wall.

Don’t even label it. Just go out of your way to put a tick mark every time it’s appropriate.

Maybe get a pool going.

17 Likes

Oh joy.

Lemme guess, he* isn’t racist, but is only someone looking for an alternative perspective on the Civil War, one that isn’t taught in schools**…

… blah blah blah the Civil War wasn’t really about slavery … blah blah blah the South had a right to secede … something something Confederate battle flag …

*I’m only about 99.9% certain it’s a he
**because it’s utter bullshit

11 Likes

Ok, got my new diagnosis, membranous nephropathy.

So I have many more 24 hour urine collections to look forward to.

That and the Grave’s are both long term, keep an eye on it problems. And I might have to make some more permanent dietary changes.

Hopefully I won’t have to do the more drastic course of meds, it will be at least a few months before they consider those. Those include some immunosuppressants and chemo type drugs.

Edited for spelling/autocorrect error

21 Likes

I assume you mean membranous nephropathy since you had a kidney biopsy? I wikipedia-ed it, and that’s what it suggested. Sounds like you’re doing everything you can to fight it. I hope your treatment if any isn’t too onerous.

I read in that one chemo used is chlorambucil. Our cat Talia is on that, combined with prednisolone, for lymphoma. She is doing really well, much better than before.

Good luck!

7 Likes

Yes, autocorrect error.

Basically immune related junk gets into the tiny membranes in the parts of the kidney that do all the filtering, and let protein escape.

Unfortunately, lots of protein currently in my case.

Edit: I’d also been looking up neuropathy recently because of my mom’s fibromyalgia

12 Likes

I thought as much.

7 Likes

Server works, looks good, why can’t I connect to it from another machine? I know it’s something dumb. I know it. But I just want to be done with this so I can go back to being a biologist.

15 Likes

It’s DNS.

6 Likes

Or VPN if there is one. VPNs seem to all just randomly (and silently) drop connection, which then means you’re on the outside network, which the server forbids connections from. I need to find a way to at least get my VPN connection to auto-reconnect when it drops.

There should also really be some kind of visible warning if you think you’re on a secure VPN, but ended up on the insecure network.

6 Likes

I think @Wisconsin_Platt is overwhelmingly likely to be right that it’s DNS. I’m going to feel like an idiot when I find out that I made a non-permanent edit to a file the system overwrites at login or something.

Edit: This was exactly and precisely it. Ubuntu 18.04 has a new way of managing the network interface.

10 Likes

18 Likes

I use Tunnelblick for VPNs (in OS X) and one of the options is to have it completely shut off your connection if the VPN connection is lost, so you never accidentally send any data over an insecure connection.

7 Likes

< Insert rant about travel incidents getting me home almost eight hours after I was originally scheduled >

< Insert a second [REDACTED] rant about having to go in today to deal with both technical and personnel issues because [REDACTED] >

18 Likes

Be careful about that. If thou scream long into a void, the void will also scream into thee.

16 Likes