Fuck Today, Reboot Edition

…Or the fumes you want to see in the air.

9 Likes

First world problem: A/C is borked, with new one hopefully installed Friday.
And naturally:

Today: 85° F
Wednesday: 89° F
Thursday: 92° F
Friday: 93° F

Woe are us.

12 Likes

People often make fun of Kansas for being boring, but we gots chill basements. :wink:

Hope you’re high on the serviceman’s list.

10 Likes

Yep, they were here today diagnosing, and the prognosis is the new one installed on Friday. :crossed_fingers:

11 Likes

Look upon this as an opportunity for a new beginning. Humans do not require airconditioning.

8 Likes

If that were totally true we wouldn’t need to sweat.

We wouldn’t get heatstroke or [checks hands] heat edema either.

11 Likes

And around here, sweat frequently doesn’t work.
Fortunately, the nights are supposed to be cool this week.

8 Likes

We wouldn’t get heatstroke or [checks hands] heat edema either.

Caves are great! Until we stink up the joint.

9 Likes

This human has a really hard time sleeping without AC for most of the year. But, I guess I’d adapt. Just like a new parent does: by being sleep-deprived and just getting on with it.

10 Likes

There’s always an Og, microwaving leftover cave fish again.

9 Likes

Maybe in the dessert, AC is not required. Shit, I used to walk home two miles from school when it was over 100F, no big deal.

But when it’s 90 degrees and humid as fuck, even thinking is difficult.

13 Likes

None of the houses that I grew up in had ac. When it got really hot, we’d head to the town park and swim in the lake, or just enjoyed the cooler breezes coming off of the water. Or we’d go to the movies and sit through a couple of shows. (Do movie theaters let you do that anymore?) Or we’d head to the library (which has the benefit of offering free Wi-Fi these days). Or we’d camp out in a diner until sundown.

There’s a scene in Rear Window that has some of Jimmy Stewart’s neighbors sleeping on their fire escape to beat the heat.

12 Likes

People used to sleep in the parks in Chicago in the summer. Can you imagine? Nowadays you’d either be robbed, beaten, and left for dead or else arrested (and beaten) for being homeless.

12 Likes

There’s movie that I love, even though the underlying message of the movie is a little depressing, called Avalon, written and directed by Barry Levinson (and starring a very young Elijah Wood).

It’s basically a story about how the world changed between 1900 and 2000, and it’s heavily nostalgic for the way things used to be. But in it, there are scenes where everyone goes to sleep in the parks on hot summer nights near Baltimore. As you say, something that is simply unimaginable now. The whole movie is basically how simple pleasures of the past are totally unthinkable now.

13 Likes

When I went to freshman orientation before my first year of college, I stayed in an un-air-conditioned dorm. The southeast was having a heat wave and overnight temps inside the dorm were in the 90s or 100s (on the fifth floor). We all took our mattresses out to the courtyard and slept there. The dorm was all but uninhabitable, unless you really really had to. Like because you were under rocket fire.

I’ll have to see that. I’ll probably need Kleenex.

10 Likes
5 Likes
3 Likes

We didn’t either till I was a teenager, and my dad got ac which he was able to get a medical deduction for! He had bad allergies. No such deductions are allowed nowadays. That was in the DC area where hot muggy summers are notorious. DC itself was a swamp to begin with (and has reverted of course).

None of ours had ac, but that was in the northeast US where summers were a lot cooler. Of course, I was rarely there in the summer – just beginning and ending. I do remember sleeping outside on one occasion though.

8 Likes

They used to sleep on the beach in Toronto. If I hadn’t seen photos, I’d have a hard time believing it.

9 Likes

Point-counterpoint: this article says the French (generalizing a bit) have been fine without AC, and that they’ve architected cooler apartment dwellings.

10 Likes