Fuck Today, Reboot Edition

That’s how I think exactly. Doing good and being honest with oneself is far more important than following rules one doesn’t agree with.

The whole “disordered” thing was Ratzinger’s doing. He did a lot of harm. Hopefully Francis can help walk it back. The thing is, even Francis isn’t doing anything unusual, revolutionary, or outside doctrine, he’s just trying to draw attention to the less dickish parts of Catholicism.

10 Likes

Friday night, I got an email from the HR middleman company saying that they had removed my daughter from all insurance (health, dental, vision). This screwup comes less than a month after they finally fixed the screwup where they kept sending the wrong info to the insurance company, causing her claims to get denied. The paperwork has all been filed correctly, the doctor says everything should be fine, the insurance company says it should be fine, but the middleman keeps screwing up the paperwork. This time, they waited until the Friday night before a holiday weekend so that I can’t even complain or try to fix it until Wednesday.

Just can’t accept that a lack of access to health care should be a #firstworldproblem. Or that these administrative middlemen should be able to casually fuck with someone’s health care for no legitimate reason.

24 Likes

That sucks. I once had an employer pay for a wisdom tooth extraction themselves because of messed-up insurance company paperwork. The controller realised it was cheaper than wasting his and my time arguing with them.

Good luck.

6 Likes

My gaming PC, which i have been trying to keep going until I have the time and energy to properly repair it has finally stopped working. It will get to the desktop but will then BSOD within 5 minutes.

12 Likes

Still no word on job applications. Thinking of putting in a couple of more… Ugh… the academic job market sucks!

16 Likes

Have you applied in Seattle? It’s going to be nice here when the rest of the country is melting.

6 Likes

I’m not academic, but I support what you are saying.
Pretty soom I will probably take a job in an Amazon Fullfillment Center.

10 Likes

For now, I’m just looking around town (Atlanta metro area). In the fall, there’ll be more tenure track jobs opening up, and I’ll look regionally then. If I end up applying for somewhere out of the SE, it will probably be when my daughter is out of HS (she’s in 9th grade this upcoming year). She loves her school, and I really want her to finish up there if it’s possible.

7 Likes

Yeah, it’s not just one field, is it? It’s depressing all around!

8 Likes

I know the words sound hollow, but hang in there! The SE did a weirdly huge amount of hiring last year, hopefully that continues!

Last year, I taught a segment at a workshop. The workshop organizer refused to make any reasonable accommodations for nursing for me, and I got so sick that I had to quit nursing, all together. I had a twitter freakout this morning at him, because he was putting up his “Dr. Twitter Feminist” act again, and I had just fucking had it. I started thinking about that week, being alone a thousand miles from my kid, so sick, and I just started shaking and crying. I’m supposed to be moving right now, but I’ve just been laid flat all day. I’m worried everyone thinks I’m nuts (even though asking someone who hurt you, bad, to leave you alone is probably reasonable?). I should probably apologize to him for calling him out in public, but fuck it. Men don’t get to treat women that way, and I don’t think I could be civil. The age of Professor Infundibulum is here, and I’m not interested in letting men push me around any more.

I still feel like shit though.

13 Likes

Switching schools is tough at that age. I switched between my sophomore and junior year. It was by choice to train with a better school’s swim team but starting over was still tough.

Well I hope you find something ASAP. I spent all last summer searching. It really wore my spirit down at the time. I alternated between getting stalled indefinitely or being told the position will have a crazy amount of responsibility and will pay what I was making 10 years ago. :neutral_face:

6 Likes

I hope so!

UGHHHHH… FUUUUUCCCCKKKKK. THIS. DUDE! Seriously, I hate the whole “I’m such a good feminist” but I’m going to treat women I personally know like shit. Pseudo-feminist assholes!

Personally, I don’t think you should apologize. Maybe just let people know what happened, because that shit isn’t really cool.

12 Likes

Well fuck. Fuckedy-fuck-fuck-fuck. Fuck.

That is all (For the moment.)

6 Likes

If you had to move on short-term, a location with two middle schools feeding into a single high school would let your daughter slip in with less turbulence than otherwise. Each set of students would assume she was from the other middle school and all would be ok.
If you had to.
Just saying.

8 Likes

That’s true.

But I think she’d also have trouble adjusting to a larger school like that, as she’s in a very small school now. Like, her class will probably have not more than 10 kids (that’s the entire HS). I think she could do it, if she had to (especially if her new school had some good art programs), but she’s also thriving here and I don’t want to see her lose momentum. She’s always been bad with change, too, which is something that her teachers have been constantly working with her on for the past 6 years. She’s so much better with new things now than she was back in like 4th grade, but it’s taken a lot of work to get there.

9 Likes

Ugh. Migraine worse today because it rains, stormy, then tails off,then maybe it’ll rain again. Humidity’s at 80 percent and it’s 83 or so F, meaning it’s just icky. And now the sun’s shining, and there’s a bit of a breeze. Ugh.

13 Likes

Am I reading this wrong? If she’s going into 9th grade, she hasn’t started high school yet. Or do you mean the school district?

4 Likes

Ninth grade was freshman year when I went to high school, and my son, too. I was graduated in 1982, he in 2007. Different school districts, too.

4 Likes

That’s what I meant. If she hadn’t started high school yet, the transition will be easier. Unless @mindysan33 means the school district as opposed to any individual school itself. I could see how leaving a district that allows her to thrive is a risky move.

5 Likes

She’s starting HS in August, yes. I’d like her to stay at her school, as she loves it. She’s been at the same school since she was 3, with lots of the same kids and she’s always had difficulties with change (though she is much better at it now then she was when she began lower elementary). Going from a class of 10 or so people to one of a few hundred would be a huge disruption and I’d hate to do that to her unless there were no other choice. We’re lucky to have choices, of course.

11 Likes