Game: "And then the murders began."

We should start back,” Gared urged as the woods began to grow dark around them. And then the murders began.

George R. R. Martin - A Game of Thrones

14 Likes

No, no, that’s backwards. It should be:

“Donald Trump’s tax returns for the last 10 years show no income of any type from Russian sources… with few exceptions. And then the murders began.

13 Likes

'What’s it going to be then, eh?'
That was me, that is Alex, and my three droogs, that is Pete, Georgie and Dim, Dim being really dim, and we sat in the Korova Milkbar making up our rassoodocks what to do with the evening, a flip dark chill winter bastard though dry. And then the murders began.

Once upon a time, there was a little girl who lived in a village near the forest. Whenever she went out, the little girl wore a red riding cloak, so everyone in the village called her Little Red Riding Hood. And that’s when the murders began.

Far out in the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the Western Spiral arm of the Galaxy lies a small unregarded yellow sun. Orbiting this at a distance of roughly ninety-eight million miles is an utterly insignificant little blue-green planet whose ape-descended life forms are so amazingly primitive that they still think digital watches are a pretty neat idea. And then the murders began.

We were somewhere around Barstow on the edge of the desert when the drugs began to take hold. And then the murders began.

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of earth,
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;
Sunward I’ve climbed, and joined the tumbling mirth
Of sun-split clouds, --and done a hundred things
You have not dreamed of --Wheeled and soared and swung
High in the sunlit silence. Hov’ring there
I’ve chased the shouting wind along, and flung
My eager craft through footless halls of air…
Up, up the long, delirious, burning blue
I’ve topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace
Where never lark or even eagle flew –
And, while with silent lifting mind I’ve trod
The high untrespassed sanctity of space,
Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.
And then the murders began

I went down yesterday to the Peiraeus with Glaucon, the son of Ariston, to pay my devotions to the Goddess, and also because I wished to see how they would conduct the festival since this was its inauguration. I thought the procession of the citizens very fine, but it was no better than the show, made by the marching of the Thracian contingent. And then the murders began.

I can see by my watch, without taking my hand from the left grip of the cycle, that it is eight-thirty in the morning. The wind, even at sixty miles an hour, is warm and humid. When it’s this hot and muggy at eight-thirty, I’m wondering what it’s going to be like in the afternoon, when the murders begin.

In a distant and second-hand set of dimensions, in an astral plane that was never meant to fly, the curling star-mists waver and part … and then the murders began.

11 Likes

It was love at first sight. The first time Yossarian saw the chaplain he fell madly in love with him. And then the murders began.

10 Likes

Looks like it can work! Speeches, too.

Four score and seven years ago our fathers brought forth on this continent, a new nation, conceived in Liberty, and dedicated to the proposition that all men are created equal. And then the murders began.

• Abraham Lincoln, with a little Howard Zinn
19 Likes

No one would have believed, in the last years of the nineteenth century, that human affairs were being watched keenly and closely by intelligences greater than man’s and yet as mortal as his own; that as men busied themselves about their affairs they were scrutinized and studied, perhaps as narrowly as a man with a microscope might scrutinize the transient creatures that swarm and multiply in a drop of water. And then the murders began.

10 Likes

They were all dead. The final gun shot was an exclamation mark to everything that led to this point. I released finger from the trigger and then it was over. Then the murders began.

4 Likes

Mr. and Mrs Dursley, of number four, Privet Drive, were proud to say that they were perfectly normal, thank you very much. And then the murders began.

• Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone, J.K. Rowling

His name was Gaal Dornick, and he was just a country boy who had never seen Trantor before. And then the murders began.

• Foundation, Isaac Asimov

Taran wanted to make a sword; but Coll, charged with the practical side of his education, decided on horseshoes. And then the murders began.

• The Book of Three, Lloyd Alexander

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. And then the murders began.

• The Eye of the World, Robert Jordan

During the winter of 1927-28, officials of the Federal government made a strange and secret investigation of certain conditions in the ancient Massachusetts seaport of Innsmouth. And then the murders began.

• The Shadow Over Innsmouth, H.P. Lovecraft

UNIX (not to be confused, as Dilbert’s boss once did, with a eunuch) is one of the most popular operating systems in the world. And then the murders began.

• Red Hat Linux Unleashed, David Pitts and Bill Ball
    see, this is what happens when you unleash an OS…
15 Likes

It̙ ̪̪͞ͅw̧̙a̘̟s͈̣̙̯̻͡ ͈̹͟R̼̘̭̳̖͘i̬̣̯͍̟̥c̭̫͍͍͉͓̥͞h̢a̢̟̫r̳͘ḓ̢̝̲̝͖ ̼̼̫̗̯̪L̺̱͓̻̭̰͜i̷͉̦͉͈p̞̩͖͟ṯ͡o̞̘̪̫̩n̵̼͚̯̥͇͕, my͙͇̭̩̬̻͘ ͏̲̰̼g̤̪͇̱̳̲̠͠r͓̺̹͈a̴̝d̼̫u̶̬a̱t͉̯̮ͅe͠ ͎̘͉ḁ̥̰͕́d̼̮̻v̠̩̳̪͉ḭ̷̭s҉͇͉o͓͔̝͎r͏̗,͏ ̗̬̖̜͟w̫̕h͎̟̟̦͟o̴͎ i̤̮̞͝n̢͇̖͉ ̟͎͍̳̞̼̱1̝̞͉͇̙9̵̰̲͕̳7͈̟7͢ ҉̭͉̘̗̣f̡̟̻̤̜̫̺i̲̞̱͈̬̭r͙͖͕̪̹̝s̢̬̙ͅt͍
͎̜̠͉̣͢ͅd̷̩͔í̻̭̘̭͇̝ͅs͎͢c̤̟͈͓u̞̼̠̳̫̩̖s҉̱s̮̗e̪͈͇̖̥̙̙d͏͎͖͖͎ͅ w̩̖̠̩͙͉̘i̥̺͉̪̭̫̣t̸̬͇͓͎h̡̲ ̤͉̝m̡̫e̖̗̠ ̨̠̟̺̩͙̦t̝̹͉̟̲h͖̰̜͍̗̯e͎̞ ͉s̝̪̤̮ͅi͓͉̯͍ͅm͓͉͔͉̀p̸͉l͚̩͖̭e҉ i̙̹ͅd̬͕̱͈̀e͓̞̻̟̮̥̞a̦͚̲̥͎ ̮t̴͓ha͚͓̱̦̦̮͚t͎ ẹ͍͎̺̪̭͍́v̞e̡̪̱̖͚̟n̘͉̺̤͔t̺̙̪u̢̩a̹̝̗̣l̵̩̘̬̤͈̱ͅl̸̖̲y͓̻̪͓ ̧͉͕g̸͚̻͇̹r̡̜͚͎e̤̼̮̩̮͍̙w ̣i̤͈n͎͎t̳̘͙̩̼͍o̶̩̤̜ ̰̪t̮͔̬̝̳͝ḫ͍̫͟e̦͖
̨A̴͔̰P̜̹L̰̬̪͠ͅ ͈̠̟̰̫̬̦c̜̮͉͍ǫ̟ͅm̧̦̞̼͉p̟ì̹l̗͉̣̻͎̰̣e҉͙̥̜͍̗̳r.̗̮͍͠.̣̳̟͈.͔̫ ̻̘̼̺͝ͅa͕͙n̨̥̯̬̠͚̤̮d̩̦͙̝̮̝͎ ̝͎͇̪̲t̹̺͖͔h̪̹͓̹̙̼͞e҉̮̞̣̙ͅn̛̫̻͔̫͎ͅ ̺̙̹͖̞͍͚t̸̲̩̞h̢̳͎̤é͓̫͎̹͓ m̢̩̳̦̩u̷̫̠r̰͉̼d͍͉ͅe͙̹̯̣̺͙̼r̸͓̮͓s҉̦ ̸͎̘͚̹̳b͙̳e͙g̻͎̻an̡̺̰͈͙.̱͕̙̠̗͎̳

10 Likes

The Microsoft ® Windows ® Millennium Edition operating
system (herein after referred to as Windows or Windows Me)
allows you to perform tasks by clicking menu items and small
pictures (called icons). Windows also allows more than one
program to run at a time as well as share information between
programs. And then the murders began.

15 Likes

Sale of this book without a front cover may be unauthorized. If this book is coverless, it may have been reported to the publisher as “unsold or destroyed” and neither the author nor the publisher may have received payment for it. And then the murders began.

14 Likes

When Mr Bilbo Baggins of Bag End announced that he would shortly be celebrating his eleventy-first birthday with a party of special magnificence, there was much talk and excitement in Hobbiton. And then the murders began.

I’d read that like a shot.

16 Likes

Mr. Jones, of the Manor Farm, had locked the hen-houses for the night, but was too drunk to remember to shut the pop-holes. And then the murders began.
George Orwell - Animal Farm

11 Likes

Isn’t that pretty much how it does go?

10 Likes

It was the best of times, it was the worst of times. And then the murders began.

(I refuse to parse that entire bloody opening paragraph as a single sentence, regardless of how it was written - anyone reading it out loud, without the implied full stops therein would asphyxiate.)

10 Likes

And then the murders began.

18 Likes

I realised I wanted to do ‘The Road Not Taken’ but that’s one bloody sentence, too!
##so:
“Two roads diverged in a yellow wood,
And sorry I could not travel both
And be one traveler, long I stood
And looked down one as far as I could
To where it bent in the undergrowth;
And then the murders began.”

10 Likes

Also [Applauds @chenille and @Nonentity for their performance art] :slight_smile:

5 Likes

“Once upon a time, long, long ago, in a realm called the Midwestern United States-specifically the states of Minnesota and Wisconsin-a group of friends gathered together to forever alter the history of gaming. And then the murders began.”
-D&D 5e Player’s Handbook

13 Likes

Crows grew tired of roosting alone. And then the murders began.

13 Likes