Genderbender: Sexual Identity and Gender Identity

From what I’ve heard, chess has become more cool in recent years and kids play it a lot.

I have no doubt there are some Ugh Grunt Manly Alpha Macho Real Men who think chess is for the weak, but those are the same types who think it’s “gay” to enjoy a milkshake or to drive a car instead of a truck or to wash one’s own butt, so the majority of people are going to just laugh behind their backs at that particular opinion.

3 Likes

I don’t think so anymore… but I do know that the chess world is rife with misogyny, as I have a friend who is a chess coach and player.

5 Likes

I tried to call them to help a friend of my daughter’s. All they could do was provide hotline services. We really wanted to help this person move to a safe place and get support for the services they would need, but they wouldn’t do anything concrete for this young adult.

4 Likes

Ugh, when I was in chess club, it was a disabled kid who could get around w/out assistance (I don’t remember what the problem was, but it was with one of his legs & it was congenital…lol, this was back in 1980-81!) who was a WASP, and I think one Black guy, and a couple of Asians, Chinese and Korean. Mr. Lombardini was an English teacher who was our coach? manager? I didn’t stick with it, though. Here’s what he wrote in my yearbook in 1982:
"Lucy,
It’s a pity you didn’t stay with the chess club: you might have turned my head upside donw. As it is, I hope you’ll be read all over — and I’ll be proud to say “I knew that crazy girl.”
(signed)
Albert Lombardini

2 Likes
2 Likes
4 Likes
9 Likes

It always struck me that those laws must be unconstitutional, and it’s nice to see if confirmed again and again (not sure what is up with the 6th circuit though, they’re the outlier). Not that I expect the Supreme Court to actually uphold the constitution anymore on these controversial topics after Dobbs. :weary:

6 Likes
6 Likes

Ooh, boy, that’s gonna piss some people off when it happens. I hope I’m still around to see it.

7 Likes

This is so cool! And while I have no desire to have one, I know a lot of people who do. I hope it becomes available sooner rather than later.

Yeah, I look to forward drinking many glasses of delicious TERF tears when it happens.

5 Likes

It’s not something I would want for myself either, but I will also happily drink some TERF tears when it’s eventually available.

4 Likes

Looks like the conservative government in my former province has decided to start playing the transphobia card.

The only thing I’m surprised about with regards tothe new policy on names and pronouns in schools is that it’s taken so long for them to decide to be dickheads about them. I knew it was coming eventually, and that’s a large part of why I left.

5 Likes

That thumbnail looks oddly similar to a scene from V For Vendetta.

Our world oddly often is looking a lot like that movie. :confused:

5 Likes

6 Likes

Such warnings are usually reserved for countries such as Uganda, Russia or Egypt.

5 Likes

When I was working, I declined to go to international meetings in Russia or China – without looking at any warnings first. Had I been European on the committee now I wonder if I would have declined to go to the USA – without even being LGBT. Just all the mass murders are scary enough.

3 Likes
4 Likes

This is great news!!!

3 Likes
3 Likes