Genderbender: Sexual Identity and Gender Identity

4 Likes
5 Likes

drew-barrymore-fuck

8 Likes

So ya’ll might be interested in this. I don’t work at a hospital, but I have an inside contact. And this recently came through the system email:

So according to their JEDI initiative (seriously?) they’re going to ask everyone about sexual orientation and gender identity, and store it right along with all their personal information. Because that couldn’t possibly ever lead to problems, right?

And there’s no clear word yet on whether they have to interrogate children, teens, and elderly people about this. Nor, as I asked, what kind of ‘treatments’ they think this info will be useful or used for.

It’s been sent anonymously to the newspaper. Don’t know if anything will come of that. Nobody reads newspapers anymore.

I’m halfheartedly hoping this was just some idea of some misguided person who meant well but didn’t think through the ramifications. But eh. It sure doesn’t take much thought to see the potential problems. That it made it all the way through the system without anybody saying ‘no’ seems a bad sign.

It also doesn’t say whether they’ll be given special armbands to show their status or anything.

And as a tech person, I can’t help but note that it also doesn’t say anything about how they intend to protect that info in the event of ransomware or other data breaches (which medical systems are certainly not immune to).

5 Likes

Seeing as it says that they’re going to collect that information along with “other protected personal information” I would assume it’s going to get the same protection as all other protected personal information. In other words, it’s going to fall under HIPAA rules. I suspect they mean well. Sexual orientation and gender identity certainly have health implications, and people should feel safe disclosing this information to their doctors. Of course, it also shouldn’t be required unless it’s relevant to something, so people should be free to withhold this information if they choose. It can also be helpful for doctors and nurses to know that a patient’s gender identity may be different that their presentation so they can properly address them during visits. But you’re right, in the wrong hands, this data could also be used to discriminate. It’s a fine line.

5 Likes

I think that’s only in the US. Pls correct me if I’m wrong – does England have the same type of thing?

Are they kidding?? As if this hasn’t been true for probably a couple of billion years.

2 Likes

My apologies. I missed that this was in the UK. I have no idea if the UK has something similar. I would hope so, but I have no idea.

3 Likes

No biggie! These things happen.

Especially to me. I can’t tell you the number of times I’ve posted things twice (because I don’t remember how many).

3 Likes

Ah, no, that’s a misunderstanding. This is in the U.S.

I’m sure HIPAA confidentiality will apply. And in normal times it probably wouldn’t concern anyone much. But when about 1/3rd of the country and an outsized number of the politicians really want to persecute people based on their gender or sexuality, it has raised some concerns. We’ve already seen how ready and willing they are to violate people’s medical info when it comes to the Roe v Wade overturn.

8 Likes

Well hopefully the disclosure will be voluntary.

4 Likes

I confused the Sky News item about the UK’s NHS with the story (and related comments concerning HIPPA) in the newsletter about the US.

Doh, to coin a phrase.

2 Likes
6 Likes

5 Likes

https://www.seattletimes.com/life/family-of-trans-child-flees-texas-for-seattle-due-to-anti-trans-legislation/

Jumping into her striped pink pajamas, Juliet, a 7-year-old transgender girl, snuggles next to her mom on her bed as they talk about everything from video games, to transition, to life in their Eastside apartment. Above them, Juliet’s twin brother, Keegan, holds tightly onto his father on the top bunk of the bunk beds in their shared room.

The twins’ room has a large framed Super Mario Bros. poster; dinosaur toys and action figures are scattered on the floor. They also share a walk-in closet partly filled with some of Juliet’s strawberry-themed dresses and accessories.

Around this time last year, the twins and their parents Susan and Brian were fleeing Austin, Texas, to protect Juliet from a wave of anti-trans laws and policies in the state. To protect their privacy, the parents asked that the family’s last name be withheld, and that pseudonyms be used for their children to avoid transphobia and harassment.

A year later, the family feels safer living in a state with strong protections for LGBTQ+ people. In the Pacific Northwest, Susan and Brian say they’ve found freedom and joy, safety for Juliet and Keegan and even some room for Brian to explore his own gender identity.

But they’re still adjusting to the life they’re building in Washington after leaving Texas, their home for over two decades. They’re now living on a single income, in a state more expensive than the one they moved from, and rebuilding their lives while far away from loved ones, including Susan’s twin sister.

Yet, despite the difficulties the move has presented, it was all worth it, the family says. For Susan and Brian especially, it’s worth the emotional security that comes with knowing that Juliet and Keegan can’t be taken away from them just because one of the twins is trans.

“I was just haunted by it and still am,” Susan said. “I get tears in my throat just talking about it even though I know we’re safe.”

The family is not alone.

10 Likes

Families shouldn’t have to upend their entire lives just because they have a child who is trans.

8 Likes
5 Likes
6 Likes
7 Likes

The right-wing “Coalition for Canceled Priests” held a conference earlier this year to support him during the investigation.

6 Likes
2 Likes