Georgia Engaging In Voter Surpression, Again

h/t wonkette

9 Likes

I always thought that the suppression of the votes of convicted felons in the USA should be reversed. No voting whilst you’re in jail, but people who’ve repaid their debt to society should be allowed to vote.

26 Likes

You keep thinking like that and you’ll want women and minorities voting too.

22 Likes

Right?!

I mean, isn’t that what re-pay sort of means? Like, you’re now out of debt?
I don’t keep owning my credit card company anything after I’ve paid it off, is what I’m saying.

11 Likes

Gov, in Va. made sure folks who did their time were able to vote again:

13 Likes

Please note that future govs can rescind that, which is why it is imperative that voting rights be constitutionally guaranteed.

11 Likes

Are the Dems spending money on ads to get folks to register? In Va. registering at the DMV has worked great!

3 months is not a allot of time.

6 Likes

While reminding myself about the specifics of this race, I ended up coming across this little bit of good news. It’s a pretty short window at this point, however.

http://www.ajc.com/news/state--regional-govt--politics/federal-judge-orders-georgia-reopen-voter-registration-ahead-6th-district-runoff/ZeJBoBDNllqHU7JGtnUzcN/

5 Likes

People should be able to vote even while they’re in prison. Prisons are storehouses of people society isn’t well designed for, including those who committed crimes for economic reasons or mental illness. Their voices must be heard so that our society will be designed a little better for them.

That’s even before getting into the biased, racist nature of the legal system; look at this map; 26% of all black adults in Kentucky are not allowed to vote, compared to 9% of the general population. Many of the states we think of as “conservative” are simply ones that have most effectively disenfranchised people.

8 Likes