Get your game on!

Humble Bundle has released a new bundle, and it looks like a doozy. I wouldn’t normally post about them, but since 100% goes to charity on this one…

For just $30, you’ll get 27 great games collectively worth over $385.
100% of your payment will go to provide emergency response, medical care, and community rebuilding in the wake of recent natural disasters in Mexico, Puerto Rico, Texas, Florida, and more.

The only ones of the bundle that I’ve played are Starbound, Her Story, Machinarium, and Psychonauts… if I didn’t have them already (and weren’t trying to cut back on buying games), those alone would be tempting. Some of the others look pretty interesting as well.

1 Like

Ooh – it looks like Indivisible is coming to Switch. I might have to check that out. It looks pretty good, and just the sort of game that would work well on the console. I’ll wait for the reviews to come in though; I’m sick of being burned by pre-ordering games and backing things on Kickstarter.

Now that I’ve finished Breath of the Wild, I have to find my next game. I’m torn between Rime and The Flame And The Flood. Both look good. Octopath Traveler is also on Switch, but I got through the opening and was already worn out by all the dialog. I don’t think I have the patience for JRPG anymore, though I do have fond memories of ones like Secret of Mana.

3 Likes

Oh, should anyone have a PS4 and not have PS+ (like me), the online play is currently free until Sunday. Good time to pick up those online-only trophies if you’ve trained yourself into a Pavlovian state with those ‘dings’.

2 Likes

Super Mario Odyssey is really good. It is very much to 3D platformers what Breath of the Wild is to 3D action adventures. My daughter has enjoyed both watching and joining in as a second player. The goals are unstructured enough that it is easy to run off and go do something silly, and the game never really pushes too hard against that.

I have collected ~215/800 moons at this point, and have finished the story, and it still feels like there is plenty to do.

That is just a preview at this point, so you shouldn’t really view that with an eye towards completing it.

2 Likes

Battle Chef Brigade: it’s like a simple fantasy action JRPG meets Iron Chef. Maybe not $20 of cute, but Steam sale fodder.

1 Like

Brütal Legend is currently free at the Humble Bundle store. Heartily recommended \m/

2 Likes

And now Sanctum 2 is free at Humble just under 46 hours left.

I played the hell out this game for awhile. Tower Defense set up and FPS fighting during the waves.

2 Likes

Got the new wolfenstein there for £20.00 and the witcher 3 for 14 and in sanctum 2 and I have a weekend.

2 Likes

Picked up Horizon Zero Dawn and Uncharted: The Lost Legacy this morning (thanks America, Black Friday is one tradition I don’t mind you exporting) and grabbed the Uncharted collection from the US PSN store last night (despite owning them on PS3, $7.99? Hell yes). So that’s my console gaming sorted for the next few months, methinks.

5 Likes

Has anyone played Elite: Dangerous? It’s been on my wishlist for a while and now it’s dirt cheap on Steam but I can’t make up my mind if it’s actually a game or not, if that makes sense.

I mean, flying a spaceship sounds like a fun way to relax of an evening but I don’t need it to be a virtual job…

3 Likes

I absolutely loved Brütal Legend, except for the tower defense / RTS part of the game… which turns out to be apparently most of the game. I adore the characters and artwork and licensed music and voice talent and just driving around in the Deuce listening to the tape deck, but managing the fans and merch and stuff… less fun there.

3 Likes

Probably the best way to think of it is as a space ship simulator, same as the earlier Elite games from the 1980s and 90s. If you buy it expecting an shooter like X-Wing you are probably not going to have a fun time.

2 Likes

Does it have any kind of structure or am I going to spend my whole time grinding for the sake of grinding?

1 Like

Yeah, that took some time to get to grips with. Being able to fly in and whale on people made it a bit better, but unfortunately progression in the story is absolutely blocked if you can’t get passed the RTS sections.

From memory though, that’s only…six…possible places you can get stuck and never pass? :wink:

2 Likes

Yeah, I stopped dead at the first concert. Found it too irritating to get past, so I couldn’t continue the story. And it’s such a bummer, because otherwise the game was totally made for me!

1 Like

Heaven help me, I’ve gotten into Temple Run 2 on my Kindle Fire. It’s one of those free-to-play-but-if-you-want-to-get-anywhere-fast-then-spend-money-on-upgrades games, but that’s fine. I’ll play it until I hit a wall, then drop it instead of spending money. And speaking of hitting walls… it’s an infinite-runner game, so you go and collect coins and avoid obstacles until you goof up, and then you die. And I die a lot. Which is frustrating, unless there’s vodka involved, and then it’s kinda hilarious.

One thing I do enjoy about the game is, it uses the gyroscope in the Kindle, so to move certain ways, you tilt the whole Kindle to one side or the other. (You know, the way we used to try body English on the controllers back in Ye Olden Days of gaming… except it actually works here. Well… it works more or less, since I still die a lot. Oh well.)

7 Likes

I had a friend over for dinner last night, and she brought along 5 Minute Dungeon to try out. It’s a board game which also needs (well, you could play without it if you had a timer) a phone app. The phone app is voiced by the same guy who does Honest Trailers, and the game has some in-jokes from there and other corners of geekdom in it.

We found it fun but frustrating. We played several 5 minute sessions, and never did make it to the big boss, though we got close a few times. A lot of the challenge cards are hilarious, but there’s no time to read them during the game – it’s just turn over challenge card, frantically put down cards to defeat it.

It is fun with the app, because there’s Honest Trailers-style commentary when you start, stop, or pause the trailer, we’re not convinced the mechanics are totally worked out.

6 Likes

Good to know. That sounds like something we might have tried otherwise.

Should we have a separate thread for board games? I feel like this one has been mostly (all?) about video games.

3 Likes

I figure if enough people are interested in board games (and would rather not wade through a deep pile of videogame comments to discuss them), someone could start a board game thread. As it is, I like many videogames and have next to no interest in board games, but I don’t mind board-game-related comments popping up here and there.

But as always, to keep topics organized and easily spotted for those with more granular than general interests, specialized and somewhat more specific threads can be encouraged. But I ain’t gonna tell anyone what to do. We all go to hell in our own way.

7 Likes