Going Places: Elsewhere Cafe Travel Thread

Going on a trip? Want tips from locals or others who’ve been there?
This is the spot for you.
Just back from a trip? Want to share your adventure? This is also the spot for you.

7 Likes

I’ll get us started. I’m on a big train trip from Maine to Minnesota to Colorado and back.
This winter I spent 6 weeks traveling around Europe mainly on the rails so it made me want to check out our US options.
Amtrak is still pretty good. I far prefer it to flying (assuming one has the time), but their user interface for buying tickets is, in my opinion, a bit of a PITA. I found navigating the European ones in foreign languages a bit more user friendly.
Anyhoo, we’re using the US Rail Pass - 10 segments for $499 (to be used within 30 days of the first one being used). Seems like a real bargain, but has some limitations. If you’re considering something similar, let me know if you have any questions.

Saw a bunch of sandhill cranes in the fields today (MPLS to CHI). Wouldn’t see those from a plane!

8 Likes

Here’s where I am now:

It was a long train ride from Chicago, then a 2.5 hour drive.

The train ride from Denver to Grand Junction was one of the prettiest routes. From the train:

From the gondola in town - free public transportation up and over the mountain!

6 Likes

Pretty :hugs:

4 Likes

Please give us a report when you get back!

4 Likes

I’ve been across the USA three times and Canada once on the train. This was when I was a kid - before Amtrak - and I still remember it fondly. It’s a much more civilized way to travel.

5 Likes

I made a photo slide from some of my favorites of the semi-cross-country train trip. In no particular order.

Our land is so beautiful! And most people are so kind. Met so many really nice people on the trains.

Oh, and here’s a great one I got of T. Noel as we neared a station, retiring in 3 months.

6 Likes

I so want to do a train trip someday, but here in the US they’re priced and scheduled like a luxury cruise. I guess I should just start budgeting and planning now to do one a few years out.

So wild when people from other countries talk about their train trips compared to how it is here.

3 Likes

If you’re willing to travel coach, we did the whole thing on the USA Rail Pass, $499 each, and we had some segments left over.
Still not as great as Europe, but pretty affordable, compared to other travel modes.

3 Likes