GURPS Banestorm redux narrative thread

Thwip

“Explain t’ me how yi go aboot doing tis safely witout backup.”

Eoin

"It’s just setting things up, safety is simple. Dont’ go tromping in with too many armed folk, ya’ll look like part of a rival outfit muscling in. Don’t look clueless and weighted down with valuables, you’ll look like a victim. Look like you can handle yourself, and ya don’t have enough on you to be worth getting stabbed over, you’ll look like a customer. And no-one wants a reputation for rolling customers, it’s bad for business.

“The hard bit is finding the right people in the first place, and knowing how to speak their language. That’s were the girl and I earn our fee.”

Thwip

Thwip listens carefully while sitting on one of the beds. Nodding as he tries to take the new information in. He’s tired in a way that will require the idea of PTSD to be invented before it can be named. Being in constant physical pain along with learning about life on the other side of the fulling mill is draining him mentally. He’s struggling to speak Anglish.

“I’dt like yi t’ take Ranar wit yi. I want tis becuss ifin t’ ennimy is among t’ local undterground I’d ratter yi come back witout a buyer ten not come back at all. He is trustworty so yi kin rely on him t’ haff yi back.”

He shifts to look at the window. He wonders if he should undo the latch to make it easier for Hayu to climb in to show off her skills like he expects her to. Maybe she’d resent trying to make it easier for her? He sighs.

“I’d ask Hayou t’ take Sashya wit her but her pride is prickly. Ifin she wants t’ go it aloon tere may be no choise but I’d ratter she didn’t.” Thwip frowns as he thinks of everything that could go wrong. He’s risking a lot on two strangers in a town that seems to be on the verge of religious violence. He deeply wishes that he had the time to approach both his own troubles and the troubles of the city more methodically, but life seems once again to be moving faster than he’d like.

“Take t’ swordt. Tell Hayou t’ do vat she doz bisten yo…” He realizes that he slipped into Goblinese and shakes his head clear.

“When you see her ootsidte, tell her tat ifin she wants t’ take Sashya she shouldt come get him. I’ll stay here andt fix mi rifle andt wait for yi all t’ come back.”

He looks from the window to the others. “Does tis sound fair t’ yi all?”

2 Likes

Eoin

“Sounds good to me,” Eoin says as he digs out the broadsword in question, and swaps it out for his old sword.
"This can double as a show piece, if we find an interested buyer."
Eoin moves towards the door and says "I’ll let Hayu know what’s what. Ranar, see you downstairs when your ready."
He sketches a quick salute to the group and leaves the room.

Heading out of the Sundered Horn, Eoin scans the street. He packs his pipe, and lights up a smoke, leaning casually against a wall on the opposite side of the street as he works out were Hayu is likely to be.

She’s not immediately visible out in the open. She’d probably want to get an idea of the escape routes in the area and be able to see trouble coming, so the alleyways are out. Limited sight lines. That leaves the direction honest folk don’t look to much, up. Probably on one of the roofs on the inn’s side of the street, he guesses.
He takes a punt and glances up, giving a quick, casual half-wave in a way that’d look like it was directly at any one of the roof-tops within a building of the Sundered Horn.

Just because he can’t spot her, doesn’t mean Hayu needs to know that, he thinks with a slight grin lifting a corner of his mouth.

1 Like

Sasha

Sasha strips out of his armour and carefully packs it away along with the prodd.

“I ken this. Anyone can dig, but if you want to profit you need to find the seam.”

“I will guard The Thief if she will stand it, although I do not think she has accepted her fate yet.”

He resettles his short sword on his hip to show his readyness.

1 Like

Ranar

In his plain greyish-brown civilian clothes, with his traveling gear stowed away, Ranar looks quite nondescript. A typical working-class surface-side dwarf, in as much as there is such a thing. After a moment of indecision over whether to risk a confrontation, he leaves his hammer behind with the axes and the rest and heads downstairs to meet up with Eoin.

But Eoin is nowhere in sight in the taproom, so he gets an ale and finds a quiet corner of the room to drink it. Feeling a bit anxious in a place full of strangers, that doesn’t take long. Soon he steps outside for a breath of fresh air and to get his bearings.

Spotting the rogue across the street, gazing up at the sky, he walks over and leans against the wall as well. “Birdwatching?”

1 Like

Hayu

Hayu drops down silently from the roof and sneaks quietly up behind the pair before speaking. “No.” Then Eoin gives her the bad news: their self-appointed leader expects her to take Sasha.

Non, tabernac.” Her expression darkens considerably. “If he wants me dead, he can have the guts to do it himself. I said I would go to the meet with you. You know how to blend in,” though he’s still a little too nicely dressed for the kinds of taverns where you can find the best information, “but has everyone forgotten the part about trained assassins? Do you really think someone’s going to resist telling the story about how a beardless dwarf walked into the pub, especially if they think there’s some coin in it?” After all, if criminals were trustworthy, they wouldn’t be criminals. “Am I the only one here who even has the slightest experience at being on the run?”

1 Like

Eoin

Eoin takes another drag on his pipe “Relax, I said Thwip’d like you to take Sasha, not that he was coming. Thwip’s not pushing it so there weren’t reason to argue.” He pushes off the wall and starts walking down the street. “C’mon, I know a guy in the Islamic Ghetto that’ll know were we can get started.” He leads the trio north through the market square, winding through a relatively sparse crowd of shoppers and city folk. Past merchants hawking their wares, ignoring the varied calls and boosts of stall owners vying for their attention as he continues talking.

“Ranar seems solid, and knows how to chose his words carefully, right Ranar? But I don’t think this is his kinda world. Why don’t you fill him in with a few do’s and don’ts?”

Thwip

With his rifle and kit laid out on his bed, Thwip looks at his tools. Then he looks at his broken arm and somewhat immobile hand. Then he looks at the waiting Sasha.

– No. He probably wouldn’t know the proper amount of torque to use.–

Then he looks back at his rifle, the damaged seal, the pump, and the delicate, fiddly, clever tools. Then he stares down at his arm and sighs.

“Sasha. I don’t tink tat she’ll be comingk t’ fetch yi. Wouldt yi be willingk t’ come wit me to t’ healer? I don’t tink tat I kin do tis wit mi arm as it is.”

Sasha

Sasha watches Hayu’s indignation from the window with amusement.

“I do not think she has accepted her fate yet but it guides her nonetheless. I would not ask her to shore up an unstable gallery and I’m sure I would be as much a hindrance in her world.”

“Come, let us get your arm fixed instead and then you can tinker to your heart’s ease.”

Ranar

Ranar nods at Eoin, glancing around at the crowds of people, trying not to get distracted by their noise. “Aye. This is far from my … huh- lan- … ah, place. It’s yer show. I’m here t’ back ye if ye need support. Just be tellin’ me what I should be doin’, an’ how you’ll signal it.”

On the inside, he hopes that these two really do know what they’re doing. Eoin seems to know his way around and they both can certainly put up some bluster, but it remains to be seen whether the locals will fall for it. Dwarven merchants that he’s known could see right through a shady act. But this is not Zarak.

He’s also dubious as to how well they’ll haggle when selling gear that they neither made nor fought for. But perhaps it’s for the best that negotiations be done by someone who didn’t watch their companions die while acquiring the loot.

With mixed feelings about the venture, Ranar trudges on, taking note of his surroundings so that he can find his way back if need be.

3 Likes

Thwip

– My heart’s ease. I wonder if it’ll ever be at ease again? There’s a chance people might die to help me and I don’t even know what I’m trying to do.–

Thwip hides his rifle away, grabs his tattered coat of many pockets, and heads out the door with the beardless dwarf.

– My poor coat. Nana worked so hard on this. I hope fate takes us past a seamstress. –

Sasha

Getting directions to the cheapest healer from the barkeep, Sasha ventures into the streets with Thwip, his evident happiness the polar opposite of the misery of his previous few days. Whistling a jaunty mining tune, he stares around at the bustle of a human city.

“So, Heathen, have you given any thought as to what we do after your arm is fixed?”

Thwip

Thwip’s mood, while not exactly the opposite of Sasha’s, isn’t anywhere in the same neighbourhood.

Thwip gives his deep thought frown that he is never aware that he makes, and mulls over it before answering. Being in the company of dwarfs tends to make him forget to guard his words around someone who is still a stranger.

“I’m not rilly certain, t’ tell t’ trut. What I needt t’ do is spendt some time in a library or a wizard’s book collection and research and I don’t know ifin yi all kin wait tat long. I want t’ look fir anyting about t’ magical artifacts off t’ past. Elven magic and the killers that use it. Banestorm history. Wars wit al-Wazif. Aronn himself…”

Thwip is lost in memory for a few seconds before continuing. "He was too close wit his seekrits. A simple plundter off an oldt ruin turndt oot t’ be a live and deat fight over an unknown power. He seemedt sick from a curse yet had considerable magicks. I didn’t trust him and… "

– And I was planning to kill him if it turned out he was a mad elf with an artifact of evil power I helped him gain.–

“Yet he gave his live t’ safe mine.”

Thwip turns away and looks carefully at the people around him, using it as an excuse to hide the tears that are welling up. He looks at the tension in their faces. Their confusion over seeing a goblin and beardless dwarf walking together. The distrustful and fearful looks they shoot at the guardsmen like everyone who recognizes those in power. The distrustful looks they shoot at each other. He smells the lingering haze of smoke. Hears the mummers. Recognizes the desire to have life go back to normal as soon as possible.

The second his eyes dry something turns over in his head. Later he would variously describe it as the clack of a clock, the popping of a deer’s eye soup, and the swearing of fear giving up.

He then turns his attention back to Sasha.

“But right now I want t’ help tese people get tere life back t’getter before they let teir fears destroy it all. Let’s poke aroond after mi arm is healdt.”

1 Like

Hayu

“No talking,” she says. “I’m serious. First key to success in a new town is keeping your ears open. Kind of places we’ll probably end up, the last thing you want to do is say the wrong thing. Second last thing you want to do is sit with your back to the door… or at any open space you can’t see in a mirror. Also, try not to look like you’ve got too much money. That’s just teasing.” Not that they look exactly un-poor. “I hope you left the bulk of your money somewhere safe.” She’s got just enough for a couple of pints on her, just enough to look like a customer and not a spy. Most people think illegal deals are made in alleyways in the dead of night, but a surprisingly large number are in plain sight at the pub. “As for it going south, we won’t have to signal. You’ll be able to see it, if it happens.” She looks him over. “You got that? Good. Now tell me to get lost before people start wondering why you’re letting some beggar harrass you this much.”

2 Likes

Ranar

Ranar conceals a smirk. Keeping his mouth shut is something that he’s particularly good at, his natural state really. He’s not too worried about having some coins on him, nobody’s getting them unless he chooses to spend 'em and he certainly wouldn’t just leave them somewhere. But he’s definitely not wearing them on his tunic either.

After a brief moment he puts on an annoyed face and holds up an arm, palm toward Hayu, and looks away, straight ahead. “Begone wit’ ye! I got naught for ye. Ye’ll find luck elsewhere mayhap.” He continues forward, pointedly not looking back at her.

2 Likes

GM POST

@DaakSyde @William_George @MalevolentPixy @strokeybeard @Macro

Following the barman’s direction to the healer, Thwip and Sasha head across the old market to the south of the square.

The square is busy with commerce during the day; mostly food and trinket vendors. More established businesses line the square. The food is notably less multicultural than what Thwip was accustomed to in Tredroy.

The healer’s office is a small storefront to the southwest of the square. A bell rings over the door as you open it; a young man pops out of a door in the back of the waiting room in response.

“Good day to you. Are you in need of assistance?”

Thwip

“Well met.”

Thwip holds up his arm with a grim expression to show the splint. He decided to tell the truth. Or at least a version of it with scant details. If the healers here are experienced with mercenaries they won’t ask for more.

He hopes. He doesn’t have much experience being a grim mercenary.

“We hadt a goot fieldt medik but he didn’t know inny magick. It’s bin a week or so andt I’d like t’ get tis ting off off mi. What kin yi do?”

GM POST

@DaakSyde @William_George @MalevolentPixy @strokeybeard @Macro

The young man takes a quick look at Thwip’s arm.

“Ooh, that’s a nasty break you’ve got there. But never mind; just take a seat here and the healer’ll be with you in a jiffy. Is there anything else you might be interested in? Some healing potions perhaps?”

Thwip

“Tat sounds like a logikal plan. We kin discuss it after mi arm is reattached.”

Thwip looks at Sasha with an expression that he hopes conveys the idea that he’s about to ask things and that he might need help knowing when to not ask things. Not knowing what that expression looks like he mugs at him with something that looks like a confused smirk crossed with smelling a fart.

“I can’t help but notice tat tis toon is on edge. T’ inkeeper toldt us tat tere was some arson andt everyone is blamingk everyone tey don’t like fir it. Inny insights? Tis a bit worringk.”

1 Like