Happy Holidays!

Having walked through the one parked in Seattle I will second that. It was a good thing the flight was only 4 ish hours.

6 Likes

I grew up close enough to Heathrow that Concorde buzzed my school playground once while taking a diverted approach on landing when I was about 8.

Even at a few hundred feet, it was the loudest, most terrifying thing I had ever heard. I’m pretty sure I’ve heard louder things since but the noise (and the blind, animal panic it brought about) is still frozen in my memory as the loudest sound imaginable, like someone took an angle grinder to my eardrums.

Come to think of it, my hearing trouble started pretty soon after that… :thinking:

11 Likes

Old Aeroflot jets taking off will do that.

5 Likes

WHAT?? ABOUT A HALF PAST FIVE BUT I DON’T KNOW WHAT A FAIRY PLOP SHED IS!

My eardrums these days are mostly scar tissue (incidentally, seeing real-time video of my inner ear is one of my most satisfying recent future shock moments) but even so, our previous apartment was on the flight path for a nearby air base: F15s airbraking at about a hundred feet above you are LOUD.

6 Likes

And yet they’ll insist it’s perfectly safe.

There was a news item long back about Inuits petitioning the Canadian Armed Forces to stop flying aircraft at supersonic speeds over their territory. People were getting lung damage from the sound.

11 Likes

I went for a walk in the hills over the last couple of days. This was the good …

This was the not so good …

Happy New Year everybody :slight_smile:

11 Likes

That looks like a very nice walk.

No pack? Or is it off?

4 Likes

I was taking a rest when that photo was taken. I was out for 4 nights, so heaps of food and warm gears. It was through the Tararuas - that’s Maungahuka hut, looking north.

7 Likes

Happy New Year!

I didn’t know you were here. Welcome!

6 Likes
1 Like
1 Like
1 Like

The performer and co-writer of this song brings me cat food and is a dear friend of mine!

1 Like

Yegad, the time does fly. Happy holidays, everyone.

4 Likes

If anyone is looking to fill last minute gift orders, we ship by priority mail. We chocolate chip with pecans and regular chocolate chip. We also have vegan and lactose free.

We attach your gift message with a handwritten card to the top.

www.billyjoescookies.com

4 Likes

Making my own this year but boy those look yum-MAY!

I’ma use slivered almonds and a touch of cardamom. Plus making ginger creams, which are a Gothro-Xmas-staple from the Betty Crocker Cookbook - they’re like little risen cakes w/buttercream frosting - not like gb-boys or the gb-cake. They’re a refrigerated dough recipe too and I just now realized I could make extra dough and freeze it. Duh!

Good luck!

2 Likes

I dunno if this is safe for anywhere, lol!

1 Like
5 Likes