Hey, {appropriate term of endearment}, it's cold outside

So winter has arrived and it was a balmy -5 °f this morning.

While chilly, I had to laugh at the “cold brew” coffee I had purchased last night and promptly forgot about on the way home and left in the truck.

I guess asking for “light ice” was a waste.

18 Likes

That could do with some “anti-freeze”, wink wink, if ya know what I mean.

14 Likes

This week at work? I could have gotten away with it.

I think I was the most senior on site yesterday afternoon. A lot of people need to be missing for that to happen.

10 Likes

Then you should be able to bill it to the morale budget. Esprit de corps and all that. As a team-building exercise. “Keeping spirits up”, you might say.

10 Likes

19 F, pretty cold for around these here parts.

5 Likes

-23°C, or approx. -9°F here in Ottawa. It’s supposed to drop to a low of -26°C (approx. -15°F) tonight.

6 Likes

-20°F with wind chill here, and it’s supposed to get worse by the end of the week. We’ve sealed up the house as much as possible, but it’s going to be an expensive heating bill this month.

Luckily, although there is work to do, so many people are out this week that there’s also time for lazing around under blankets.

6 Likes

Only about 25F here, but that’s down there for us.

The theory for the last six hours is I’m going for a bike ride, but somehow that keeps not happening. (EDIT: did the ride. Do not expose skin to moving air this cold.)

5 Likes

88F here but it feels colder because it’s raining.

I’m starting to miss winter after 4 hot Christmasses…

5 Likes

-19°C (-2°F) in Toronto , -26°C for all you wind chill fans. Not cold by Ottawa standards, and the prairie folk are laughing, but unusual here.

The forecast is for -21°C (-6°F) on New Year’s day, matching the record set in 1968.

6 Likes

3C here, low so far this winter has been -2, which unfortunately was enough to freeze the garden hose fitting I forgot to remove before going away for a few days.

According to some maps I’ve seen, our region of the UK (BANES and East Mendip) is likely to be one of the places in the world least affected by global warming. We also have one of the lowest temperature variations (-12C and 31C being very rare extremes, most years -4C to +27C). Which would be nice except that in between we have some of the most boring weather on Earth.

8 Likes

This reminds me of the urban myth Siberian weather forecast: “25 degrees of frost, warm and sunny.”

7 Likes

Update: CBC radio says -22°C this morning. It’s a good thing we brought the brass monkey indoors last night.

Extreme cold seems to be the case over most of the country.

8 Likes

Boring is a Good Thing. We’re looking at a high of -21°C and a low of -29° on New Year’s Day. Extreme cold warnings this early in the season aren’t boring, but they aren’t good either.

14 Likes

But…will nobody think of the jobs of the welders?

7 Likes

Prost!

7 Likes

Local airport says we got down to -6F this morning, but it’s a balmy 9F now! We’re about 20 degrees below normal this week and next. I’m fine with it, but there doesn’t appear to be anyone else in the Lower Penninsula who is. Soooo much complaining.

9 Likes

I’m heading home for a couple days and can’t decide if I want to pack my running shoes or not. There are a couple days where the temp is right around zero. It’s been months since I ran in that sort of cold.

But I’m home. With family. And without a car. So maybe the cold doesn’t matter.

12 Likes

Owing to American Customary Units, would you care to specify F, C, K* or Ré?

9 Likes

I hate the cold, but at least it’s not Norilsk

9 Likes