How do you make friends in a new town as an adult?

I hope it goes well! :hugs:

8 Likes

Weā€™ve hadā€¦ one date at this point? However long later?

This guy keeps ghosting and texting me again weeks later, what does it mean?

3 Likes

He likes to keep it light OR heā€™s not that into you.

Heā€™s dating a lot of people and expects you are doing the same OR he doesnā€™t date a lot and expects you are the same.

To me stuff like that is about seeing expectations? ā€œSo, see you in a few weeks?ā€ is making it clear that a) you will see each other again but b) it wonā€™t be very soon.

Iā€™ve had this scenario, and Iā€™ve had the opposite too, where making it through one date was assumed to mean we were a couple who would get together every evening.

People have different needs and expectations. So long as you both know what those are, it eases a lot of anxiety and losers the potential for miscommunication.

4 Likes

Yeah, I actually get more scared away when people come on too strong, too fast, so it doesnā€™t bother me that much, but this seems to be the other extreme, where Iā€™ve almost forgotten he exists & then he pops back in. I guess this time he was visiting the place he grew up, a third world country, so might not have had any technological access during that time.

4 Likes

Update: I havenā€™t been around here much because life has been busy and good. With winter reducing hiking and biking opportunities, Iā€™ve invested increasing amounts of time into painting and martial arts.

Iā€™ve also finally made a close friend. We just happened to walk the same direction from martial arts each session; talked a few times on the way and got increasingly used to walking together until we started leaving together at the same time and often hung out for a long time afterwards. She doesnā€™t go to martial arts anymore but weā€™re still hanging out when we can. Sheā€™s extremely generous and kind and follows her own syncretic spirituality ā€“ Iā€™ve found these traits often all go together, especially in people Iā€™ve seen as my emotional/spiritual mentors.

Iā€™m still sometimes left wanting a friend who exercises the more rational side of my brain, though!

There is a gentle, quiet man at work Iā€™ve been playing go with and having breakfast with pretty frequently. Not really close yet but heā€™s mentioned we should go hiking when it gets warmer and I think we have compatibly introspective attitudes towards that activity, and might also be able to have deeper conversations outside the office building.

Otherwise: I wonā€™t say oil paints are my friends yet, but we are finally on speaking terms, at least.

24 Likes

:fireworks::fireworks::fireworks::fireworks:

Yay!

(Miss you 'round here though)

11 Likes

Glad youā€™ve found someone in a similar orbit!

9 Likes

Thatā€™s pretty good. :grinning: I donā€™t think Iā€™ve ever met anyone else who plays go or can appreciate the beauty of it.

8 Likes